What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. species nova (Wistuba's plant)

Hey all. I'd just like to know if any of you guys 'n' gals who have this plant notice any temperature/humidity/light constraints for this one.

I plan on growing it in a tank w/ eymae, sibuyanensis, and some other common species/hybrids. Anybody see any problems with this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Do you mean spec. nova Sumatra?

If so then this plant is pretty easy (at least for me under my conditions.) I have it with all my highlanders and it has not missed a beat since I recieved it, did not even stop pitchering.

Yep, that's the plant I'm talking about (spec. is short for species).

That is great news (better than my car insurance)!

Has anybody seen the differences between Wistuba's three clones?

My plants grow better during winter with lower night time temperatures. They are still young and so they didn't have problems with the hotter temperatures during summer.

N_sp_Sumatra_300906.jpg

Joachim

Fast grower for me in typical highland conditions 12-25oC, 80% humidity, 10-12Klux

specnovSumatra.jpg

Do you know which clone that one is?

Sweeeeet! I just picked this guy up at the NECPS show!!!

SCHWING!

Those plants are really nice!! How long have you had them? I may get some more but I grow them outdoors and being so small, they often don't do well. My other alternative is to grow them as windowsill plants. I may do that.

Joel
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Don't know the clone - Andreas guessed it was probably 2A
I have just bought confirmed plants of 2A and 16, so I should be able to compare and work it out in a year or so.
Andreas has other clones in the pipeline.

This plant was shipped to me in June 2005 looking like this
2005-06-24-202133.jpg

Whole plant now (on the right/ jacquelinae on the left - also from Andreas)
2006-09-29-9.jpg

Holy! In just a year and a half?

What did you do? Give it steroids?

Thanks for the comments - I am very fond of both of these plants. Hoping for uppers on the spec. nov. next year

All the plants I can get a cricket or two (or a leg for the small ones) in each pitcher, and every now and then a spray of dilute orchid fertiliser. Never anything in the media, and loads of flushing through with rainwater
Media is a mix of LFS, rockwool, fine orchid bark, perlite, charcoal and a sprinkling of moss peat
80% or more humidity, I try and keep light 10Klux or slightly above
This is the temperature profile through a year and a bit.
jan05toaug06.jpg

I got a 2A, 16, and a 'random clone' (I guess that's what you get for the unlabelled one). They haven't arrived yet. Did Andreas have pictures of his various clones so they can be identified?

EDIT: didn't see that chart before. What do you have to monitor temps? Are those flucuations the night temp drops?

Back