What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. spec. #2 Sumatra troubles

This thing absolutely will not pitcher for me. In fact, it hasn't made a single one in 7 months. I can tell it shoudl be on uppers, since the tendrils will grow out and curl, but the tip will never even attempt to inflate. I've got it in strong light, so I don't see what the 7 month hold up is.

Unfortunately I've only seen about 2 other people with this on their growlist, but if you grow this one, help me out and lemme know what to do.

Hi
Mine took 2 years to pitcher! In the mean time it grew and vined very quickly. It gets good light and in my case moderate humidity. But gets quite a lot of water to its compost. Last summer it produced these:

species%202.1.jpg

It is now sending up a couple of basals which are starting to pitcher straightaway so I would suggest you leave it where it is, if its growing happily (even its not pitchering yet). And I am sure once it is ready it will pitcher. As often just changing the conditions or position of a Nep can just delay it still further as it keeps having to readjust.

cheers

bill

thanks a lot! I guess i'll just have to wait then...

Its currently about 3 feet long and has produced a pretty good sized basal, though that also has yet to pitcher

Thanks for posting this question and the responses. I had been wondering what this plant wants. This is my only Nepenthes that is currently without a decent pitcher. It had produced a nice 5" lower this summer but just leaves since then. I'd wondered if it is one of these Nepenthes that needs to climb to produce pitchers as the vine is about 12" long and hanging down.

Cheers,
Rich

Back