What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. fusca "flared peristome"

I received a N. fusca "flared peristome" around 2 and a half months ago, and I've noticed that it's been growing pretty slowly (for a N. fusca). So far, it has only put out one tiny pitcher and two new leaves. Does anyone else have experience with this plant being sluggish? (I believe the form is BE - 3068).

IMAG00151_zpsxztfyaq4.jpg

Two new leaves and a pitcher and you've only had it for 2.5 months?! That is not what I would call "sluggish" considering its brief time in your care. Many species can take 6 months to acclimate to a change in environment.

Yeah, I think you're right, I'm probably being paranoid...It's just that all the other Nepenthes that came in the same order are growing far quicker, and my conditions are a bit cold for N. fusca from what I've heard...it'll probably pick up soon.

N. fusca is generally an intermediate plant, so it's likely your conditions are nowhere near "too cold" for it. And that's definitely not what I'd call a sluggish plant, as Paul said.

Well, my night temps get down to around 40 - 45F each night, and I've been told that N. fusca slows down when the temps fall below 50F...It probably doesn't matter anyway, I suppose if it was unhappy, it would have told me by now.

Well, my night temps get down to around 40 - 45F each night, and I've been told that N. fusca slows down when the temps fall below 50F...It probably doesn't matter anyway, I suppose if it was unhappy, it would have told me by now.

40F is too cold for most ANY Nepenthes - even the so-called "Ultra-Highlanders". You'd be wise to up the night temperature a few degrees.

Back