What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. copelandii 'Apo' in lowland conditions

Hi all,

Quite by surprise I received a n. copelandii 'Apo' today in the mail. Reading about it, I understand it's a highland plant, or maybe intermediate. BE identifies it as highland, but easy to grow as a low lander.

I'd be really excited about the free plant, except that I can only grow low landers. I live in south Florida, and in summer we are a lowlander environment. During winter we approach more intermediate conditions. Temps in the summer are high 80s, low 90s during the day, and mid to high 70s at night. Humidity is very high. My plants grow in bright light shade during the summer, and some morning and afternoon sun in the winter.

Will this plant survive here? Is anyone growing one with success in similar conditions? If not, is anyone growing one inside in a window? (Inside temps are 76 day, 72 night, high humidity)

Or do I just need to trade this plant away?

Thanks for your input!

I'm in the same boat as you - lowland summers (95+ during the day), intermediate-highland winters. From what I've read it can grow in LL or HL conditions, and so far it's been doing well in LL conditions for me. I'd recommend growing it outdoors yearround.

According to michaelkevinsmith.coms altitude chart, it's an intermediate grower. I've had some luck growing intermediate in LL, try it out and give us an update once it pitcher up.

Z

If it works, nice to know; I've been treating mine as a highlander for years and it would be a lot easier to treat it as either intermediate or lowland...

I'll be sure to update as the plant develops. Right now it's growing outside in very bright shade. Top water every couple of days with rainwater. Fertilized with Maxsea (every two weeks is the plan). Temps range from 80s to 90s in the day, mid 70s at night. Humidity is around 80 percent, +\- 15. No growth yet, though no signs of shock either.

That sounds like a good plan. It should grow quickly for you with those conditions. For reference, I got mine as a 2 inch plant, and in 3 months it has about doubled in diameter with regular fertilization.

That is very good to hear. I was afraid the thing would languish and die here in the heat. Blue, do you give it any sun? Or similar shade?

Last edited:
Mine seems to be having no trouble with the heat. I have yet to see whether it prefers lowland or highland conditions though. It gets a little morning sun and then bright shaded light similar to what you described for the rest of the day.

Back