What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Albomarginata/ Truncata in highland conditions

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
Well I'm trying with the help of seedjar to set up a mini greenhouse. The main focus is for my hamata so it will be in the basement. If I have to I will get a swamp cooler and everything else needed. But I'm pretty sure where I'm putting it will drop to be cool enough at least during winter.

Anyways all my other neps are going in as well. No sense wasting space. I was wonder though if my n. albo and truncata would be hurt by this? I have been told my truncata is lowland and the albo is too. Is the cool nights going to be bad or can they adjust?

Another question is what about cephs and some sundews like d. falconeri, adelae, capillaris, capensis, and spatulata

JMurph,

The truncata will not be hurt short run (live if you're just storing it there for a few days while you build a new enclosure), but it is a lowlander and to grow well will need to have warmer nights.

Albo, well, I find that a fussy plant in ideal conditions. I would not subject it to highland conditions if I could avoid it.

My experience is that chilled N. truncata grows more slowly, but is otherwise okay. This winter I had a number of battles with my roommates over the thermostat, and my Neppies wound up enduring temperatures in the high 50s and low 60s more often than not. My truncata seems fine though.

The albo a fussy plant in ideal conditions what? Since I've moved it into my grow tank which is pretty 93 day and high 70's low 80's at night it has takin off like a weed. The truncata also. But you know they will get way too big for a 10 gal. I might just have to trade them away or try as a windowsill plant.

Nepenthes albomarinata in my hands is an interesting plant that does not seems to obey the "rules" for growing Nepenthes. A number of years ago, I experimented on planting Nepenthes in Coconut chips. While other Nepenthes suffered, Nepenthes albomarinata did not seem to mind. I think I recall Tom Hayes of Dangereous plants saying that Nepenthes albomarginata can be grown in typical potting soil.

I have had a red clone of Nepenthes albomarginata growing in my greenhouse with decidedly "highland" temperatures this winter (lows in the low 50f range). Its growth has slowed but it has suffered no dying back. Can't say the same for a Nepenthes x miranda, Judith Finn and x trichocarpa. Anyway, I think of albomarinata as an intermediate grower and tolerant of highland conditions. This, of course, may not apply to all clones.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:
Huh. I wonder what I'm doing wrong with my albo.

It's just not happy. And I'm growing it with my bical and merry, which are much fussier plants apparantly. maybe I need to re-pot and change the medium.

I do sometimes forget to water that one - is it sensetive to dry-outs?

As for the Miranda, Witz, I have the opposite experience. It had no trouble with the highland temps. Didn't care for the lack of sun too much, the the temps didn't bother it in the slightest.

I had a Kutching spotted... that thing was bombproof. If I remember correctly I grew it on the drier side (not dry, but drier that most nepenthes would probably prefer)

I think it was 1/1/1 bark/lfs/perlite. Ultra lowland conditions.

Back