What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Sarracenias didn't undergo dormancy, ¿what should I expect?

• Thread starter Tunguska
  • Start date
Hi! So, this year we had a really warm winter (I'm from Spain btw) and only recently the temperatures have droped to normal, cold winter temperatures, but this wont last more thatn 2/3 weeks. None of my plants have gone trough dormancy this year (I have mostly Sarracenias, one Dioaea and one D.binata) and, since this is the first time that this happens to me, I have no idea of what to expect. I don't know if they'll be fine, If they will grow slower or if they will straight-up die or if there is something I can do about it. Oh, and it's not only that they didn't hibernate: They have been growing non-stop, developing beautyfull pitchers (although they are young plants and they are not that big or spectacular).

So, any tips/info that you could give me about this issue?

Do you have a photo of your plants?

Not really anything I would suggest to force dormancy coming to the end of winter, or else you'd get your plants off schedule. I doubt you'll lose your plants from missing one season, make sure they get a nice dormancy next year and maybe if they don't catch decent meals on their own this season you can supplement some food for them to keep them going strong till next winter.

The few times I started Sarracenias from seed I kept them indoors through their first winter with no obvious problem. They had their first dormancy their second winter.

Back