What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new vft

• Thread starter petflytrap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly vft
P

petflytrap

wink.gif
Hi, i was just wondering how many times a month should i feed my venus fly trap?
tounge.gif

You actually do not need to feed it. They will do just fine. More VFTs are killed by stuffing them with bugs and bits of all kinds of stuff than if they were never fed. If you feel motivated to stick a fly, cricket, spider in a trap now and then, that's fine to satisfy your craving. But, the VFT will do just fine without it.

About once a month for forced feedings, although letting it get it's own occational meal is probubly best. I try to have mine eat at least twice a year for good mesure, but they don't need to.

Hi petflytrap,  Welcome to the forums
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

As Bobz and Darcie have said, you don't have to feed your VFT.  I stick mine outside when the weather is nice and they catche plenty of bugs.  Keep in mind that traps only close 3 to 5 times before they quit closing on bugs.  If you feed your VFT you may want to consider alternating which traps get fed to avoid wearing any one trap out to fast.  Also, make sure the bug is small enough to fit completely within the trap when it closes.  If a leg or something is sticking outside the trap when it closes, fungus and/or bacteria will get started on the partially digested bug and will usually cause the trap to die.  This is nothing to get worried about as the plant will grow a new leaf/trap to replace it.  When traps do die, just cut the blackened part off.

Or if you are like me
tounge.gif
you do not have bugs that would happily jump into the trap
wink.gif
. I usually keep one trap feeding all the time. Seems to work pretty well for me. They really do not need any bugs but what is the point of that (right? Venus Fly Trap - Key word Trap). Plus, bugs help them grow and give them added nutrients. I also think it helps them when you put them into dormancy. As they are a stronger plant compared to a vft that has not been feed. I am sure you will find a Happy Medium for you vft.
smile.gif
Good Luck and Happy Growing!

Travis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ Mar. 25 2003,10:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They really do not need any bugs but what is the point of that (right? Venus Fly Trap - Key word Trap).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Right on!
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ Mar. 26 2003,12:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or if you are like me
tounge.gif
you do not have bugs that would happily jump into the trap
wink.gif
.  I usually keep one trap feeding all the time. Seems to work pretty well for me. They really do not need any bugs but what is the point of that (right? Venus Fly Trap - Key word Trap). Plus, bugs help them grow and give them added nutrients. I also think it helps them when you put them into dormancy. As they are a stronger plant compared to a vft that has not been feed. I am sure you will find a Happy Medium for you vft.
smile.gif
Good Luck and Happy Growing!

Travis[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Um, they don't get more energy for eating more, all the insects provide are the nutrients that lack in the soil. At a surtain point, they can't make use of any more insects and overfeeding increases your chances of the traps rotting.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Mar. 26 2003,6:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Um, they don't get more energy for eating more, all the insects provide are the nutrients that lack in the soil.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I knew some one was going to point that out.
tounge.gif
Well perhaps not energy but faster growth compared to a vft that is not feed at all.

I cant tell you how often I feed mine just because I'll just have those moments when I go, "I wanna feed my v-trap."  I have never had it outside long enough for it to catch it's own prey.  When I force feed it I just do when I feel like going out, catching a bug, bring back to the v-trap and feed it.  (Oh, Never feed it a japanese beetle.  They always find a way out
wink.gif

tounge.gif

mad.gif
)  Last summer I stuck one in just to see what happened, the trap shut on the beetle and caught it.  A hour later I looked and the trap had sealed.  The next morning the trap was still sealed, but the beetle was in my purple pitcher plant on the other side of the terrarium.  I looked and looked and could not find a single way that beetle could have escaped.  I hate japanese beetles
mad.gif
!  Well, later.

biggrin.gif
Wes
biggrin.gif

If I find an insect in my room I just toss it into the tank to fend for itself.
wink.gif
I threw two ants in the other day. One stuck immediatly to a sundew and the other one showed up three days later inside a VFT's trap.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wesley @ Mar. 27 2003,02:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I cant tell you how often I feed mine just because I'll just have those moments when I go, "I wanna feed my v-trap."  I have never had it outside long enough for it to catch it's own prey.  When I force feed it I just do when I feel like going out, catching a bug, bring back to the v-trap and feed it.  (Oh, Never feed it a japanese beetle.  They always find a way out
wink.gif

tounge.gif

mad.gif
)  Last summer I stuck one in just to see what happened, the trap shut on the beetle and  caught it.  A hour later I looked and the trap had sealed.  The next morning the trap was still sealed, but the beetle was in my purple pitcher plant on the other side of the terrarium.  I looked and looked and could not find a single way that beetle could have escaped.  I hate japanese beetles
mad.gif
!  Well, later.

biggrin.gif
Wes
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Those beetles are extreamly stronge. I'm rather surprised to find it didn't chew it's way out, but I supose it wouldn't bother if it could pry open the trap and squeeze out.

Back