What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new mini-bog

• Thread starter Goofzilla
  • Start date

Goofzilla

I'm Stratified
Hey,

Well, I just made this mini-bog, which is just a tub that I drilled a couple holes on the bottom, and a couple holes on the sides. I put a small layer of LFS, and sand on the bottom, with a thick layer of Ppat and some sand, then another laye rof LFS on top.

I just got this little Judith Hindle, and am planning to get some more plants soon!

eecb1d16.jpg

eecb1d84.jpg

All I have to do now is water it, and keep an eye on the moisture.

Just thought i'd share

Inventive use of a plastic crate!

However, I wouldn't have drilled holes into the bottom and sides.  Sarrs like to be kept very moist/waterlogged. It's easier to meet their watering needs if an undrained container is used for a mini-bog.  

As for the rest...you probably already know these things...Give them full sun, but protect them from the blazing sun if you live in a low-humidity environment. Give them distilled or rain water.  They'll catch insects on their own.

Where are you located?  Your plants will need a dormancy. If your area experiences freezing temps for many days/weeks at a time, they'll need some protection (except for S.purpurea which can survive very cold winters).

Good luck!

Nice, I used a little plastic tote for my minibog. Now fill that thing up already!
smile.gif

Thanks for the information. Yes, I've read some people have put in holes for their mini-bogs, and some people haven't. I decided i'd put a couple holes in, just incase it rains real hard. As for winter, i'm in Illinois, and am either going to put the bog in the garage, and just periodicly put in water, or mulch them over with hay. Haven't decided yet.

Now, as for plants! I plan to get some more by mid-June.

Thanks for the replies!

Don't use hay. It'll cause your plants to rot. Use pine straw.

Pine Straw To the Rescue!

bum da dun dah!
Cheers

Nice goof! you are going to LOVE the 'Judith Hindel'. it was my very first sarr....ever! it gets so red later on in the yaer but the necter it makes at that smells kinda rotten...but that made hundresd of flies come out of nowhere and start falling in! it got to the point where the pitcher toppled over and flies could just walk over the carcasses! i too am making a mini bog and im going to put several Sarrs(3 flavas,a leuco, and a minor) some VFTs and whatever else i can get my hands on.
good luck its looking nice so far!
alex

Back