What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New Cobra Den

CorneliusSchrute

A leuco by any other name would still be as glutto
I was rather successful with my four or five Darlingtonia last summer thanks to a water recirculation table (and luck).

*knocks on wood*

This year I plan on greatly expanding. After a couple awesome trades I am ready to bring on the grow season, and I feel like a photo thread would be prudent. I will try to update this as often as possible to illustrate my luck--or lack thereof--with these plants in Missouri, Zone 6b.

First up, let's look at some highlights from last year.

Despite some fugly tongues I was pretty happy with last year's (2014) growth. I had lots of stoloniferous babies shoot up in these wide and shallow foam-cooler pots. They aren't pretty red or as nicely shaped as they would have been in full sun, but large growth in the shade is a win considering our heat waves near one-hundred degrees Fahrenheit without a considerable drop at night.

I should have some later season pics from last summer but they are eluding me now.

I have plenty of images of my new arrivals, though. I am ridiculously excited by the following.

See why? Nine plants arrived all told, I split them between an in-ground bog, a two-by-three foot container bog, and a few individual plantings. Pics of the potting process and their new homes follow.

Though these photos don't reflect it, all of these containers have received a generous top dressing of live sphagnum. The media for all is roughly 1:1:1 peat, perlite, cedar chips.

Last edited:

Dem flower buds.

I lack any pictures of my in-ground plants. I will try to fix that when the snow melts.

The following were part of a separate trade with another TFer. These dudes are AWESOME. I have been growing them in a south window andbwill continue to do so as an experiment. No rcirculating water, no humidity dome, just a (full) water tray.

Here they are several weeks after breaking dormancy.

...and most recently.

...and lest we forget: the next generation. Well, some of them. I have a few other pots germinating under lights in my classroom. The ones pictured here are last year's crop. Similarly, these little guys get the windowsill treatment and light dormancy.

Excellent work! Gotta love them cobras. I really like that clump that is just sitting in water. I hope mine can turn out looking as plentiful once spring comes around. Keep us updated!

Interesting media, are the wood chips just decoration or they throughtout the media if so what wood is it?

Cheers
Steve

The cedar chips are throughout the media. In the past I have used fir bark in more or less equal parts with the standard 1:1 perlite and peat mix, but this time I didn't want to pay for that much fir bark. #CheapA$$ Cedar chips have extended longevity compared to most woods, hopefully at least as long as fir bark. I also figured since cobras naturally grow near redwoods it isn't the worst choice in media.

That said, I am a bit nervous about it. We will see what happens... :S

In general terms, I follow Jeff Dallas's recommendation of an aggregate-rich peat-based mix. It yielded much success last year. Theoretically anything that doesn't break down or poison The peat should work.

All is topped with live sphagnum. I will try to get better pictures today.

Last edited:
Hi CorneliusSchrute. Know it's a real old thread, but wondering how your Cobras are doing, if you're still growing them!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This may sound crazy but I'm afraid to have a topdressing of LFS, for fear that the critters would get into it and uproot my plants.I have seen severed VFT traps, turned over pots, and plants next to their pots, dead.

This is one from his den:
102_00321_zpsa1prkky7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

102_00311_zpslwip234c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back