What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first post! Need help/recommendations with grow rack lighting

Hello!

So I'm upgrading my grow rack from a makeshift shoe rack conversion to a full fledged, multi-shelved growing environment. Now I must choose the lighting, which will be used for primarily nepenthes and drosera (for now).

I know I want florescent, I just don't know which one I really need. Here are the options I've narrowed it down to:

Lithonia Lighting Shoplight Diamond Plate Chrome Finish 50 In. 2 Light T8 Fluorescent Fixture:

75d8eabd-6902-4291-aca8-1693dada09c8_300.jpg

Link

For about $35 + cost of bulbs.

Is that reflector going to be good enough? How about 32 watt bulbs? With the highest lumen bulbs I could find (and at 6,500K), the most lumen I think I can get out of the fixture is around 5,800.

OR should I go with two of these?

21zjJdxDiDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link

$43 a piece, bulbs included.

This fixture is actually meant for hydroponics and would produce 10,000 lumen with two of them.

Thoughts on which one I need to go with? If I can get away with the lower lumen output on the first one I'll go with that.

Or is there another fixture I should look at?

Thanks for everyone that provides advice. I plan on sticking around!

I would go for T5s, but that is by no means the most cost-effective T5 fixture available. Try contractorlighting.com. Otherwise, skip T8s; T12s are more economical if you ask me. The fixtures and tubes are both cheaper, even if they draw a little more, and I think that they're nearly identical in terms of light output.
~Joe

Any specific recommendations for things to look at on that site?

After a quick run through I did find this fixture, which is presumably the closest to my needs:

Link

$87 + cost of bulbs. The white enamel reflector kind of has me worried though.

It seems like two of the T5 fixtures I posted is the better deal. Bulbs + decent reflector.

And that isn't to say I know that much about lighting, I'm kind of in the dark (pun intended).

As bad as it sounds I was hoping someone would post a link to a specific fixture, with specific reasons why it's better than what I've posted. Hopefully I don't seem too needy :/ I'm just a noob that doesn't want to waste money.

Are you growing outside? Otherwise just get the high bays. You don't need the vapor tight casing. These are the ones that I use, and number of other members such as Avi8tor have also had great success with them:
http://www.contractorlighting.com/high-bay-fluorescent-4lmp-t5ho-120277-p-152.html
http://www.contractorlighting.com/high-bay-fluorescent-6lmp-t5ho-120277-p-153.html
I have several of the six-tube model but will probably get the four-tube ones next time around so that they fit more easily on my racks. The reason is pure and simple; these are dramatically cheaper than anything you'll find from a hydro shop, because these guys sell to contractors and not dumb kids trying to grow you-know-what. Also, they offer a spectacular warrantee on their merchandise; I had one ballast go out on one of mine about seven or eight months after I purchased them, and not only are they sending me a replacement, they're sending three - one for the dead one, two more for the ones that have been starting slow - and a case of new tubes to replace the six that went bad from being used with the faulty ballast. You won't find that kind of service from most hydro retailers.
~Joe

+1 for Joe's recommendations

Av

Hey, I just want to say thanks to you guys. I've been looking at so many fixtures the past couple of weeks and had so many people give me conflicting opinions I thought it was time to get advice from people that actually grow carnivorous plants.

I think I'm gonna go for that four tube fixture from Contractor Lighting.

If you buy those lights, do you also have to purchase the $18 cord/plug and a ballast for it to plug in like a normal shoplight?

You might want to try aquatraders.com for T5HO lighting in attractive fixtures and VERY reasonable prices.

If you buy those lights, do you also have to purchase the $18 cord/plug and a ballast for it to plug in like a normal shoplight?

The ballast should be included and prewired inside the light. I can talk you through how to wire the light so you can just plug it in. I offer free over the phone electrical advise to all TF members. It's a benefit of a membership here.

Thanks Ozzy, but I think I would be more successful if I were able to read some kind of directions. It seems like there should be a stickied thread specifically on wiring high bay lights (ideally from contractorlighting.com) for use with a three-prong plug. I read the thread posted above, but the pictures seemed to be outdated. I'm actually considering ordering the 4 tube t5ho fixture from them right now, possibly with the $18 plug already attached.

really need to read all of the thread answers are there

I decided to just purchase the plug with it. I don't want the lights to arrive and not be able to use it because of a few missing pieces needed for wiring.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

As far as bulbs are concerned though, I have two aquarium supply stores within walking distance from my apartment. Haven't looked for bulbs yet, but I'm sure I'll find some.

Just received the fixture and they forgot to include the plug... Waiting for a return call from one of the reps. Said he's going to send me the cord, but I have to obviously wire it myself.

Back