What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Nepenthes Pitcher

Yep, that's right, I'm about to have my first fully formed Nepenthes pitcher from my just recently aquired N. raffelsiana "white spotted". I'm really happy and surprized because it bounced back from shipping shock (almost none) in almost 1 week. The pitcher is infurling the 'ladder' and starting to inflate. I'll hopefully post pics soon.

I'm sooooooo excited!!!!! :banana2:

That is exciting! Glad it didn't take long to adjust. It will only get bigger from here!

xvart.

really??? About how big do you think that it will get? pitchers and leaf-span?

I'm sooooo excited!!!! it's like waiting for Christmas!!!

raffs get huge! but not as big as bicals(i think....) they get like 3 ft across or somthing like that. pitchers on some forms get really big! but i dont know about your form.
Alex

wow!!!
the first two Neps that i get are some of the biggest! Well that's good, because at least it will be able to occupy me even longer.
does anyone know how cold of temps they can take?

Raff's like heat. My Raff (back when it was small) would stop growing when temps got down to the 40's. But it bounced right back when temps came up. They love really high temps in the 90's as well.

My biggest Raff is about 4ft in diameter. And when these thing vine, it is a thick, unbendable vine so before it starts you should make sure it will grow strait up and not at an angle. One of mine did that and became so topheavy I had to cut it down.

Also, you will notice over time that Raff's are extremely forgiving of your screw-ups. They are very tough and are great starter plants.

really?
I keep mine in a terrarium set to about 88 F all day, and in the summer I'm thinking about putting it outside.
I didn't know that they would tolerate such low temps.
and do you think that they would be ok with temps in the tripple digits in the summer?

^Yes, I actually grew one of mine outside here in Texas in partial shade for about 3 months. Every day was above 100 degree's, it topped out (I think) at 110. It never missed a step, every leaf pitchered. I never even misted it, just hit it with the hose every morning.

HEY! copcar's back!... i love raffs. they are one of the prettiest neps just from shape and color. i owuld love to grow one but id probably need a greenhouse first.... i live in zone 6
Alex

right now I'm keeping mine in a terrarium supplied with an everyday space heater for my room.
in fact you could probably grow it outside in the summer and during the winter keep it under some lights or something.

HEY! copcar's back!... i love raffs. they are one of the prettiest neps just from shape and color. i owuld love to grow one but id probably need a greenhouse first.... i live in zone 6
Alex

Thanks for the welcome Glider :-O

Oh man, it's always fun watching a Nepenthes pitcher. I remember watching my truncata. This one pitcher on it grew almost an inch in just a few weeks. Sanguines are fun to watch as well. Can't wait to see some pics man. Pictures of big colorful nepenthes attract my ADD :p

yeah! it opened last night and When I woke up this morning I saw the lid rising!!!!!!!

I'm SUPER HAPPY!!!!!! Can't wait to post a pic!!!
I'll try to do so soon.

here's a pic!!!!
I'm sorry that it's not that good but it's the best I can get.

DSC00578.jpg

one of my favorite parts about this Nep is the little toothed peristome on the inside of the mouth of the pitcher.

the pitcher is only like 2.5 inches tall

Lol. Nice lookin Nep you got there Dave. Cant wait till mine gets that big.

A strange thing that I just noticed: A leaf just unfurled, but I can't see the next leaf. There is nothing there at all!!!
is that ok? Should I be worried? I'm freaking out!
I don't want to have killed my first lowland nep!!!!
you can see what i'm talking about in the pic...it's the slightly curved one facing outwards

Thanks by the way for the comments

Last edited:
get a pic of that dave. there should be somthing there...
Alex

So is that a bad thing? is there ever gonna be something there?

Back