What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Drosophyllum lusitanicum 

My small Drosophyllum lusitanicum already start flowering........shall I cut the flower...?

attachment.cgi

If it were mine, I would cut it.

If it were mine, I would cut it.

Based on what information? You have no idea of size or the conditions under which the plant is being grown. That photo is merely the top of the plant.
Apparently in some sections of the CP community, flowering plants are deemed incapable of flowering.

Is that perlite in the background, if so that's really small to be flowering lol it's like when seedling flytraps flower

Based on what information? You have no idea of size or the conditions under which the plant is being grown. That photo is merely the top of the plant.
Apparently in some sections of the CP community, flowering plants are deemed incapable of flowering.

Just judging from the plant compared to the perlite in the background, the lack of color on the tentacles, and the fact that the shoots are still juveniles (the dew tentacles don't surround the entire leaf yet).

You can also see that the plant isn't quite situated yet from seedling-hood, as the arms are reaching in all assortment of places and the plant has that unstable leaning appearnace. The flower, you can see, has probably weakened the two newest leaves appearing much shorter than the others.

I could use more clarification I agree, but like I said I would cut it.

And plenty of plants can flower, even when they are weak, I'll give you that, but you can prolong a plants life, as sometimes flowering is the plants way of saying "I'm going to die, so I'm going to give this reproduction thing a shot as a last ditch effort".

I didn't really remark that someone should always cut flowers on plants, and I really don't see cutting flowers as an issue to be angry at. Be angry at these plants being culled from their native habitats, that's what grinds my gears.

Last edited:
I generally cut off the flower stalks from my Drosophyllum plants when they are in an obvious growth phase. Having said that I find that producing flowers and seed doesn't seem to drain them the way it does some Drosera, though it surely consumes some of the plants' resources. So, I would say the bottom line is if you want seed/flowers leave it. If you want the fastest growth possible cut it off.

Last edited:
Back