What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My "custom built" plant shelf

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Wanted to show off the plant shelf my daughter built for me in her metal shop class.

The first pic is what it looked like March 13th. She brought it home to make sure it would fit in the window.

The second shows it fits in the window. Yesssss! :boogie:

The next two are of her working on it under my strickt supervision :rolleyes:

In pic 5 it's almost done.

Pic 6 is a shot of the top shelf and 7 is a pic of the whole shebang.

Pic 8 is the Blue Ribbon (Superior) which is of course entirely due to the supervision I gave her on the three days I was able to help :poke:

The shelves are 7½" apart. The bar across the top can hold hanging plants or a shop light for seedlings.

man your daughter in that suit.. lookin kinda cute... lol JUST KIDDING!

What was this for AG, or just a class for metal working?

Nice looking shelf.

Nice shelf! Is she into metal fabrication or was it just for a class project?It's nice to see young girls and boys interested in thing like this.I took Ag,shop class(wood working, plumbing,electrical and brick/block laying)and Drafting when I was in high school,very helpful in life!

Jerry

Cool! That must've been pretty difficult to make.

Be sure to show us pics once you've got it filled up!

Nice, sturdy shelf! Can't be any worse of an assembly project than the ones that my wife keeps giving me to put together (cams, cam locks, dowels,....)

That is awsome! She did a fantastic job. That must have been a lot of work but looks like fun.

When is she taking orders? lol

Thats looks fintastic!:0o:

Nice shelf! Is she into metal fabrication or was it just for a class project?It's nice to see young girls and boys interested in thing like this.I took Ag,shop class(wood working, plumbing,electrical and brick/block laying)and Drafting when I was in high school,very helpful in life!

Jerry
This was her metal shop project this year. They had to build something to a customers specifications and keep track of the materials and labor. I needed something that would fit my window and give me more room for my plants during the winter. I hadn't found anything that fit my needs and took advantage of the opportunity when it came up. She was the only girl in her class which didn't bother her in the least and she gets along great with her teacher. She's thinking that she may be able to use the welding skills she learns in her "career" as an artist. I told if nothing else she could do welding as a side jobe to keep from becoming a starving artist. :jester:

Cool! That must've been pretty difficult to make.

Be sure to show us pics once you've got it filled up!
She enjoyed the challenge, though it was mostly repetitive stuff after the frame work was togerther. I hope to get before and after pics of my window posted tonight.

Nice, sturdy shelf! Can't be any worse of an assembly project than the ones that my wife keeps giving me to put together (cams, cam locks, dowels,....)
Just don't get any welding stuff or your honey-do kist will expand exponentially....unless you accidently burn something down fixing it.

That is awsome! She did a fantastic job. That must have been a lot of work but looks like fun.

When is she taking orders? lol
She has already told me that she isn't building another one and that when I die the shelf stays in the family. Come to think of it, she has been eyeing me oddly this last couple of weeks...:suspect:

Here are the pics of my windowsill before and after the shelf was put in. Now I have room for more plants :boogie:

wow- that looks awesome man! all you have to do now is put up a few twin wall poly carbinate pannels to diffuse the sun so it shines in to the lower levels better :) (if it gets direct sun in there that is)

She did a great job and it makes that area look so much better!
Look at all that floor room you have for CPs now!! :0o: :-D

Thanks Andrew. The only plant I couldn't get on there was the Christmas Cactus I have had for ~30+ years. At 2'×3' it would have taken up most of the top shelf.

I'll get a lot of direct light in this window and I have one of those mylar emergency blankets that I will cover the side facing the room to reflect the light back on the plants. I have sundews and other sun loving plants on the top shelf and next to the windows on the other shelves with pings behind them and utrics and leaf cuttings farthest from the window. The shelves are made from expanded metal, so they will allow some light through to the lower shelves as well as allowing for some ventilation. Space is a bit tight between the shelves but I have more room for plants plus I can easily clean up any spills under the shelf, where as before I had to move plants out of the way to do that. Not a perfect solution but it's much better than before. And yeah, I have room for more plants :boogie: :-D

Back