What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Cephs.

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Here is a few pictures of some of my cephs. They are in a 20 gal long tank in an east window with a shop light over them. They haven't grown much this winter,although there is some new growth. I use the straws to ID my diff clones. It gets tuff when they grow together, you loose track of which is which. This is one of two main tanks I have. I grow them all different ways, and there will be many more pictures to follow.
dsc00212gg9.jpg
dsc00220ga1.jpg
dsc00222qu6.jpg

Wow wow wow!!:0o:

Great job growing these! I've mastered killing at least 3 different plants. :blush:

Oh well, at least i can look at yours.....
Peter.

They all look great in the same large tank! I can imagine how it would be difficult to tell them apart when they grow closer together.

xvart.

Cuttings.

Take cuttings often! You never know what might happen. I forgot to say that the plants with blue straws are Hummers giants. Green are a giant clone I got from the CP Jungle. Red straws are also Hummers giants, just want to keep that one separate. The biggest pitcher I ever had came from that plant. From these pictures the first three are mostly Pitcher cuttings. In this last picture everything is a Hummers giant except the two with labels.
dsc00234bd0.jpg
dsc00236io6.jpg
dsc00235vg9.jpg
dsc00237oe2.jpg

More cuttings, seedlings, and some divisions.

First is a bunch of seedlings.
dsc00243np0.jpg
Second two are a bunch of Hummers, and the last is a couple potted plants.
dsc00242zf1.jpg
dsc00240od7.jpg
dsc00245rc4.jpg
Not all of these plants are looking there best right now. I have good years and bad years with these plants! I hope this year is better than the last.

Last one for now.

This is a pitcher cutting I did a while back to see if it would grow in a hydroponic type of set up. All it is growing in is clay pebbles, thats it. The pebbles wick up moisture and always stay damp. All it has recieved since I put the one Pitcher in has been rain water and fruit flies. It is not looking the best, but it is growing! Maybe a bigger bug will help it along?
Well, thats all for now. I'm wiped out!
dsc00238fx5.jpg
dsc00239mp5.jpg

wow! great looking plants! i'm jealous!

tech...

Awesome work JMatt,

If those were on ebay you could get enought to get ya a real hummer ;)

What words of wisdom can you share concerning your growing conditions/techniques?

:hail:
Av

WOW, thanks for posting these pics, totally stunning- I love the "landscape" effect in some of those pics, really REALLY fine lookin collection there!!

Went diggin and found these pics.

Just wanted to show you one of my Hummers giants plants I had a few years ago. This is the same plant in my tank that I use a red straw to label. I really don't know what I did the year I grew this one. All I know is that I haven't been able to grow it to quite this size since. I keep trying though. The quarter in the pics, you could almost drop it inside the pitcher. Anyway, I hope you like the pics.
hummersgiant5kn5.jpg
hummersgiant4mg2.jpg
copyof016fik8.jpg
017fuz9.jpg
mvc02fvt4.jpg

Giant ceph from the CP Jungle.

I also wanted to show you people this ceph plant I got many years ago from the CP Jungle.
This plant is very vigorous, and clump forming. It can get massive when you leave it alone for a few years. This picture was a cutting I did, and it always forms these massive clumps. You can see how wide the plant was by the ruler in the pic. It was also probably 5 inches high too.
I have always liked this clone. It grows quite fast compared to the Hummers giant, and gets large pitchers too. I have maintained this clone very easily for years. This particular plant does not exist anymore though. I got careless for a while a had this plant growing in with a bunch of new orchids I had gotten. I didn't realize that one of the orchids had scale. well, by the time I realized what was going on, this plant was infested with them! It was toast. Thats why I always take cuttings! I still have this clone, and it is doing fine.
20020630cpcephalotusjmajz3.jpg

what method do you use to take cuttings?
do you just pull leafs off or cut them with a knife or scissors?
I have one ceph that is growing well and I would like more.
peace,
Zero

For me, Cephalotus cuttings are the easiest and I get about a 100% strike rate. Pinguicula are what's hard for me lol.

Pull the leaf, don't cut it or damage it and take the whole petiole and cover very lightly with the media. That's what I do. The best plants come from Rhizome cuttings for me.

JMaTT, if you'd be interested in trading Cephalotus (or even a few leaves) let me know. I'd like to get some different genetic material in my hands. For some reason mine never produce non cp leaves in the years I've had 'em no matter what I try and I'd like to get a different plant and grow them side by side and see what happens. Let me know :)

Mr. Cephalotus himself has decided to come by and show Terraforums whatsup with the Ceph's!! Your plants are always kick *ss!

Thanks, but my plants are nothing compared to Charles Brewers!
He is the best grower that I know for these things. His collection just blows mine away no problem. I have seen one of his plants that had a pitcher much bigger than my best! Probably 3.5+ inches! Very cool.
JMatt

Good growing! Do these guys ever flower? If so, what season, and what do the flowers look like? Any photos?

First is a bunch of seedlings.
I have never seen a ceph cutting before. That is so neat/bizarre. The leaf cutting is the "long" stem with the one pitcher growing out of it?

Here is a few pictures of some of my cephs.

Just wanted to show you one of my Hummers giants plants I had a few years ago.

I also wanted to show you people this ceph plant I got many years ago from the CP Jungle.
OMG! The pictures just keep coming! I kept scrolling down to read the posts and BOOM, another set of pics. You have inspired me to try my hand at a ceph.

I would also like to know about ceph flowers.

xvart.

ceph flowers.

The flowers on these plants are nothing to wright home about. The scape is very long, and the flowers are very small. I can't seem to find my pictures. If I find them I will post.
JMatt

Ahhh... Sad. JMatt, when I saw you were the last poster I was anticipating even more photos! lol. Well, thanks for the info about the flowers, and the promise of possible photos in the future!

xvart.

Ceph flowers

I found a few pics. You see how tall the scape is, and how small the flowers are.
Seeds take a long time germinating. I think I had seeds germinate in 2 to 3 months, to almost a year later. Cuttings or division is the way to go. I have pitcher cuttings I took last summer that are as big as seedlings I started 2 to 3 years ago!
JMatt
dsc00012vj0.jpg
dsc00008uh4.jpg
dsc00007pr1.jpg
dsc00009kp4.jpg

Back