What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My beloved esseriana

seems healthy enough, but the vivid difference in the newer leaves versus the old leads me to think it needs something... what do you guys think?

or am i being retarded and its going to a succulent stage?

ess.jpg

Those are winter-form leaves. It will usually initiate flower buds from these. Sometimes it will continue to bloom while summer-form leaves are developing.

Just as Joseph said. I will ad that any slight bunp during this phase will knock those leaves off and they behave almost like gemmae.

yeah! it looks like it's just forming it's winter rossete, but nice pic!

Yes, winter leaves. Here is a pic of one of my clones that has started forming winter leaves and has also begun flowering.
Happy growing!
Peter

img0413tp1.jpg

thats great! should i change my care of the plant at this time?

also, would it be wise to use some of these leaves to propagate some new plants, or should i wait til spring?

Propagate some new plants! Your plant is healthy and happy, and it wants company! P. esseriana is easy to propagate with leaf cuttings/pullings/bumpings.

Capslock

Aren't they supposed to have a cold/dry season, now? BTW, mine are behaving likewise, sitting on a window sill in the unheated stairway.

every single one of the 10 or so leaves i pulled off my 2 plants have cute little nubbins of growth on them now. what should i move them to to send down roots? i dont know ping mediums very well =P they are in 100% vermiculite atm.

Mexican Pinguicula can be grown in an extremely large variety of media. Mixing and matching media ingredients to make your own preferred combination is part of the fun of growing these attractive little plants. I've grown them successfully in various combinations of -- peat moss, perlite, charcoal, pumice, vermiculite, coral, gypsum, LF sphagnum moss, silica sand, aragonite, ground fir bark, and small aquarium gravel. I'm sure I overlooked several other media ingredients -- they are very adaptable. Especially when growing them in an all-mineral media, it is suggested to feed them just a little, periodically.

Back