What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ball python is badazz

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
The last two feedings I've givin it adult mice and they went down with no problem and left no lump in it. Well I found out that rats are better for them and as soon as I can switch to feeding rats. So I got a small rat and it was huge compared to the adult mice. Longer, thicker all that. I was kinda thinking that it was a long shot for it to get the rat down. Well after waving it front of the sanke he struck at it and about half hour later he got it down. There was and still is a huge lump in the middle of the body. I think though I'm gonna wait about two weeks before the next feeding because I don't want to over do it. I'll get some pics next time.

Once every two weeks is a pretty good interval once they get big enough for rats. Their digestive systems up-regulate for feedings, but then atrophy during periods between them, so large meals are a more effective use of their resources (and are the reason this odd digestive system regulation evolved).

Anyhow, congrats on getting it to switch to mice easily; some animals have trouble with that.

Mokele

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ May 07 2006,11:34)]The last two feedings I've givin it adult mice and they went down with no problem and left no lump in it. Well I found out that rats are better for them and as soon as I can switch to feeding rats. So I got a small rat and it was huge compared to the adult mice. Longer, thicker all that. I was kinda thinking that it was a long shot for it to get the rat down. Well after waving it front of the sanke he struck at it and about half hour later he got it down. There was and still is a huge lump in the middle of the body. I think though I'm gonna wait about two weeks before the next feeding because I don't want to over do it. I'll get some pics next time.
If you can, use pre-killed rats or kill them yourself, if you can get the snake used to them. While most of the time it isn't a problem, rats can and do decide to defend themselves against snakes, tearing it up and even killing them.

Back