What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My area for acclimatizing new plants, cuttings, TC, etc

• Thread starter Vidyut
  • Start date
I haven't figured out how to post video here, so just linking to a tweet https://twitter.com/Vidyut/status/961326422534082560

It is just a tray hung against a wall with good coverage by a misting nozzle (10sec on, 5 min off) + an ultrasonic fogger when I need one (cuttings/TC explants). Gets medium bright light in day. No direct sunlight (in this season) and mild breeze. I don't bag cuttings or TC plants at all, since I made this area. I just put them there. Works better in my climate. Plus I lack the patience for good acclimatization out of bags. Area isn't big, so with plants that came in today, it is a bit crowded. Round pots in front are truncatas out of TC. pots along the wall are ventrata basals being rooted. On the other side of the fogger are rafflesiana, bicalcarata, densiflora x robcantleyi, maxima x vogelli, sanguinea and ventricosa (in order of my memory - I can't recall the sequence I kept them in)

This is how the set up is looking right now.

Once the TC plants are doing for a few days I will turn off the fogger more and more. Then when a candidate needing coddling comes up, they'll get kicked out into the main growing area (just above/below/wherever other than this one tray). They'll still get misting, but will be less sheltered. More breeze, no fogger, etc. The whole thing is sort of outdoorish. Balcony/ledge outside bedroom window.

No particular reason to post this now, other than I made the video, so why not.

Last edited:
Looking good. The fog and air circulation looks like a pretty good combination for taking care of soft plants. I imagine the felt temperature is a bit lower than the rest of your grow area with the reduced direct light and all the moisture in the air. Sounds like there are few interesting nepenthes that you've got in there right now.

Yes, it works very well. The air doesn't stagnate there at all and the breeze will even occasionally blow all the fog in one or the other direction, dropping the humidity briefly, but not for long enough to distress the TC plants. I've found that like this, I can pretty much grow the TC plants "normal" right off the bat.

One issue I've faced, though is that the water level in the fogger needs attention. It is just a cheap fogger in a bowl, so if the water runs low, it won't refill, I have to notice it and refill. This isn't usually a huge problem, but a TC plant can get unhappy looking if the fogger runs out of water in the peak bright hours of the day. Size seems to matter here. Bigger plants get unhappier than smaller ones. But luckily, due to the mist, they don't die. But I once had a fogger run out of water around 10am on a hot day and I only noticed it in the afternoon around 3. It was just the second day of TC plants being out. The original leaves didn't die, but they weren't the same. They looked dry-ish for a long time. New ones grew just fine. So that is one thing to watch out for for the initial few days.

Back