What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Must Be Deer Season!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I left work on Wednesday night and before I got a half mile down the road, a deer darts out in front of me....but I missed her. Right behind her, however, another crosses.... and this one runs into me. She made contact with the driver's side door and the breakaway mirror.

it has to be hunting season for them to do that? its a 365 day a year thing out here..........its actually a bit less during hunting seasons cause most the deer move away from the roads......

I hit a deer on Tuesday night. Jumped right out in front of me, and it was similar to what you described. I managed to only hit her on the front right side of the car and she was turning back. Did some damage to the bumper, the headlight. It looks like she tried to go under the car because of the damage to the back right side door but I know I didn't actually run her over. It is too bad. I had even been watching carefully since I had seen several alongside the road despite it being night. Mostly cosmetic damage, from my assessment.

xvart.

It is, and they taste mighty fine too! :-D

Just be careful on the road! Sorry to hear that one got you.

When I'm riding the bus in the dark early morning, sometimes our bus driver stops the bus really fast because of deer. It happens a lot, and we almost hit a couple with our car.

Sometimes I wonder if they do the High-5 thing ("You da deer")when they cause an accident... assuming they weren't the accident!

The deer out here are startlingly polite and wait for cars to pass before crossing the road. There are a few, however, who do the "Oh, oh hey, I'm sorry, I didn't see you coming, *hangs head* I... i guess I should walk across... ooooh I'm so embarassed, I'm *brakes*OH CRAP that was a scary screeching sound! I'm gonna run now, bye!" 30 deer then follow behind them XD.

we have some that are like that........in Lincoln is the ones i can best think of that tend to be very aware of when they can cross the road and when they shouldnt......but traveling the back country they tend not to be as observant as "city" deer.....actually one of the last deer i came close to hitting was in down town Helena...well inside city limits and prolly had never been shot at...

The rut is going good here in Iowa.My wife is an EMT for our local ambulance department and her radio is always barking with police talk about deer hit on the road. It's best to drive slow about anywhere here while the rut is going on.
Mark W.

Birds and squirrels like to do it too. They probably sit in the trees and dare each other to fly/run in front of the next car that comes. Sometimes the birds fly into the side of the car.

Deer wander around in the fall with all the good judgement of drunk frat boys in a strip club. I used to drive extra carefully in Maine this time of the year because of rutting deer and, worse still, moose. Neither are that common, but a moose is darn near invisible at night and twice I only saw one because I realized something was blocking light ahead of me. I stayed off certain roads because of them during the rut.

My parents hit a deer sunday night coming back from my football game. Thank god no one was hurt but it did screw up the radiator and the hood, something like $4,000 worth of damage....

My biocentric side asks how the car got so much damage if the deer wasn't hurt. Darn modern cars have no substance. But then my anthropocentric side says you probably only meant humans when you mentioned no one was hurt. The moral of all these stories is to be very careful driving this time of year.

sounds like the ring. the movie.

Just because the deer got up and ran away does not mean it was uninjured. It could have died from internal injuries hours later. Their instinct is to freeze then flee if the threat continues.

My carpool guy drives down the center of that road with the highbeams on. We're talking ~11:05 pm, when there are more critters than cars. I often see a fox crossing the road as well.

How the heck can you kill an 830 lb grizzly bear, destroy your radiator and not have any idea what you hit? :crazy:

cause im guessing he hit it at night.....if you have been on the highway that goes through Lincoln you would understand.......me and my wife have about hit everything from deer to elk to moose to bighorn sheep to cattle and horses on that road...lots of it is densely forested with lots of blind corners.....prolly had no clue weither he smoked a bear or cow or what, just that he smoked something big........

Are those highways lit, rattler?

xvart.

Back