What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple pings in a single planting with different winter growth timing

• Thread starter EHarris
  • Start date
Back in the spring I started four pings ( P. laueana, emarginata, gigantea x ehlersiea, moranensis "Libelulita") and a maidenhair fern on a piece of pumice. For the most part, they've grown well through the summer on the tray method with occasional overhead watering, but now that we're approaching winter, I'm having a possible problem: they're going into winter growth at different times. The Libelulita's carnivorous leaves have gotten much smaller and I can see a small winter rosette forming, while the laueana actually only went INTO summer growth a few months ago. One of the g x e's has also gone into winter growth, while the other is still in summer, and of course the emarginata doesn't really need a winter dry period (perhaps not the best planning on my part, may have to move those to a pot on their own and replace with something else).

Can anyone advise me on how to prioritize the moisture level for these plants? Should I lean toward more moisture for the plants still in summer growth, or towards dryness to prevent the winter ones from rotting? Right now I've taken them off the tray method and I'm just overhead watering the plants that are still in summer growth every other day or so, but that's not ideal.

Here's a pic of my setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dZkF80h7xtp0sFRtPU-y28uCVCFLx0e-/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much, only the bulb forming species require an absolutely dry period. For everything you listed they can tolerate being a bit wetter or dryer than optimal.

laueana is the only one that will likely really want drier winter conditions, and that's if it actually decides to enter winter growth this season or not; if you can manage to keep the rock just a little moist, then the ones that need water year-round will be able to keep on, and the ones that go into the succulent phase should be able to tolerate slight dampness.

I water mine the same winter and summer. Maybe that's why I killed so many of them :lol:

But the survivors of this overlap with your species too - mine are P. cyclosecta, kondoi, hemiepiphytica, gigantea, and laueana.

The laueana's parent plant has been basically backwards for years- it enters summer growth in late summer and enters winter growth in spring some time... looks like its baby is doing the same thing. Its winter rosette survived the wet conditions it experienced this summer since I put it on the rock, and since I've got a parent plant in a separate pot, I'm not too worried about losing it. Knowing that cutting the difference and just averaging between the two preferences will work is very helpful, though.

It's a month later and so far so good!
uc

For my part I keep all my Mexican ping in the winter ,dry, or just damp, in a bright place at 10-15 ° C
from october to may

for the temperate ping I leave them all outside always in very humid conditions

Last edited:
Thanks for the description of your conditions, Jeff! I live in Colorado, USA, where the winter time overnight temperature is usually 0°C or lower and the year round humidity is quite low, but I may try moving my pings outside for the summer and see if they like it better than the sunny windowsill they're on now.

for the mexican ping avoid temperatures below 5 ° c (40° F) , otherwise risk of rot and death

from may to october ,you can safely leave your Mexican ping outside in the shade, half shade or morning sun, this is the solution that I found here in France at Le Mans, an advantage, the insects which are caught provide them with fertilizer.

for the temperate ping no problem with 0°c (32°F) all the year

Back