What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Species bog - specifically adding Butterworts to a tropical bog, is it possible

• Thread starter landro
  • Start date
I'm building an indoor bog for some sundews, pitchers and a few venus fly traps (Single rectangular wide pot) with a water tray essentially built in

I'm trying to find a way to also grow a Victoria Butterwort in the same pot. I'm pretty sure that by just creating a hole in the peat moss/perlite bog mix, say 3" diameter and 3"-4" deep, and filling that with the Butterwort growing mix (perlite, crushed coral and sand mix) should do the trick, I actually suspect it would keep the Butterwort growing mix the perfect level of damp.

My concern is with the crushed coral in the Butterwort growing mix, In theory the growing mix only absorb water from the pete/perlite mix , is there a risk of calcium making it into the peat/perlite mix of the rest of the bog, and if so does that endanger the rest of the plants (could lower acidity) or would it stay relatively contained to the 3-4" diameter of the Butterwort growing area?

Yes I know it's better to grow these separately, but would very much like to have all this in a single garden, any suggestions on how to achieve this would help

fullsizeoutput_1330.jpg

Mexican pinguicula do not necessarily need to be grown in a calcium containing mix, I have some that grow in a sand heavy peat mix just fine. Although I can't say I really recommend doing this, you're right when you said that these species are better grown separately, especially since flytraps and north american pitcher plants aren't tropical and require additional care to grow indoors. That additional care is usually artificial light since most windowsills do not get bright enough for these genera and dormancy accommodations since North American pitcher plants absolutely require a dormancy after their first year. If you're talking about Nepenthes its still not a great idea since they will not appreciate being kept as wet as the rest of the plants in the bog.

Back