What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

morning glory move

(first off im sorry for posting in another place, i wasnt getting any replies, this is a better section for it anyways)

my morning glories are vining up my entire grow rack. i want them to flower but im afraid they dont have enouph light(currently they have 80 watts above them + a north facing patio glass door)

my question is how do i go about moving the morning glories to outside

if i dont have to i would love to keep the grow rack inside

maybe make a bunch of cuttings?

maybe keep it where it is and hope for the best?

and i would like to add the apple tree seedlings are growing very well

I don't know if this will help but I saw a whole bunch of wild morning glories with a ton of flowers growing outside on a fence.

Morning glories are one of my favorite wildflowers but...I had to get rid of them because they were so invasive. They STILL come up. I've heard there are less invasive strains. I really don't know if they root from cuttings or not. I've never tried it. They do like a lot of light.

Are you thinking of Bindweed (Convolvulus)? I know it's often called morning glory. I've grown morning glory for years, Ipomoea , and never had a problem with it being invasive whatsoever. But bindweed - that stuff is a nightmare which I've found to be a nightmare to try to eradicate.

I love morning glory, and moonflower has a great fragrance. But I've never tried growing them inside with lights or on a rack. But outside in full sun, they grow like no ones business!

i would think they would handle a trimming just fine......unsure if cuttings will work......

ipomoea, im doing a test today to see if the cuttings would work, i think they might, otherwise the rack is going outside!

an update on the the 2 plants i got this weekend

Pieris Japonica "moutain fire" is doing great and growing

and my hibiscus is doing great too

any ideas on the ipomoea?

I would dig a hole and remove the contents of the pots, plants and soil, as one unit, and put the "plug" in the hole. Water well and wait.

You should get together with the Moonflower gal!

is jimscott trying to be funny?

a little hard to move a morning glory when its vined up and around your grow rack immensly

Last edited by a moderator:
Nightsky...it was morning glory because I sowed the seed. Bindweed was what I grew up with and is the reason I like morning glories. I think most morning glory seeds found now are non-invasive types.

I think "moonflowers" are Mg's, too. I think it's I. alba.

If you like weeds, I mean morning glories, then you should try two beautiful relatives. Rivea corymbosa, which IMO is prettier and more robust looking than morning glories, and Argyreia nervosa which is hairy!

Morning glories are roadside and urban weeds here. Everywhere. Like dandylions.

Back