What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More to tempt and tease...

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello everyone...

I just thought I'd toss out another pic to tempt more people into trying their hand at growing an orchid.  Orchids offer so many beautiful and unususal flowers in so many shapes, sizes and colors...and some easy growers and some are challenging.

This is a brassia...sometimes called a spider orchid because the blooms have a spidery appearance.  It is wickedly beautiful!

I don't have my notes with me so I hope I remember the image code structure....

brassia1.jpg

This is Brassia 'Spider's Feast", an awarded hybrid.  Dramatic flowers, no??  Orchid flowers are not necessarily a  frilly, "girly" flower like the type you find in prom and easter corsages.

OK...when you go out to buy your new phrag...toss in a brassia as well.  More early christmas presents!  LOL

Suzanne

(Edited by PlantAKiss at 2:21 pm on April 15, 2002)

Suzanne,

That is a really cool looking orchid. Since you've gotten me hooked on e-bay, I'm waiting for several small ones.
I have to find a good greenhouse source near home.
By the way, are you taking good care of my phrag? LOL

LOL robert! hehehehehe...I have gotten more than a few people hooked on eBay! It is an excellent source of plants (and a myriad of other things) even if you just want to surf the pics. You can learn alot there too from the information posted on the listings.

And MY (note the word MY) ;-) phrag is doing well. I'm still waiting for the next bud to open and the one floating in water still looks good! Amazing! I intend to get more phrags and more brassia. You also might want to check into a brassavola nodosa. I like them too. The flowers are fragrant. There is also an oncidium called Sharry Baby who's flowers are supposed to smell like chocolate. I'd like one of those too. Hmmmm...how am I going to pay for all this? I didn't win the big lottery....
sad.gif
But I do have a tax refund coming.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :)

Suzanne

I can't wait to hear about what you got!

Suzanne,

Well, since I just recently started my collection, I have obtained a purple Dendrobium which has been in bloom for over a month. I have a pink and white spotted phal
which has neat coloring. These I got at Lowes. I had a great selection to chose from. Today I received my 1st epiphyte, a Florida native butterfly Tampensis.

Now I am waiting somewhat patiently for an Oncidium winter wonderland and the Sharry Baby that I won on auction the other day and a Phal- Beldons Kaleidoscope.
I believe I have enough to keep me busy for at least a week LOL. I also received 4 small different ones that I ordered from another web site. one is a spath and I can't remember the names of the others. When the Sharry Baby blooms (if i can get it to) I'll post a picture.

If you'd like, I can e-mail where I bought a few of these from. I was looking in my book at Brassavola's and boy, are they neat too! I just need a source (yeah, a source of extra cash). I hope to find a great greenhouse nearby. I'm glad YOUR phrag is doing so well. LOL
If i can split the Sharry Baby someday, 1 is yours!

Wow...sounds like you've got a great collection started there Robert! Great choice of plants. I was bad today...oh so bad. I went to a plant sale and did well...bought no plants ....UNTILLLLLL...i discovered the orchids were inside the building! uh oh. more christmas for me! I got two amazing phals and a very unique dendrobium. I will be posting pics once I get them uploaded to the server. My other phal has been in bloom for about 6 weeks and still looks PERFECT. And the phrag is unfurling its top bloom. Will probably be open tomorrow. My house may be messy but beauty abounds within. lol

I would like that Sharry Baby. I have only 1 oncidium Colminara 'Wildcat'. I almost bought a Sharry Baby on eBay. They arent too expensive there.

And unfortunately I found out this orchid nursery has 7 building of orchids (soon to be 9). :shocked: Its not that far away so I'm going to check them out. But perhaps I should go there sans Debit card and checkbook.

Suzanne

Back