What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More mantella shots...........

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

Maybe a stupid question but are those poisonous?
I want to start with frogs/amphibians but I dont know any ease species to start with..

in the wild yes, in captivity no. their poison comes from some critter they eat, most likly and ant species. Mantellas and dart frogs are easy if their requirements are met i feed all mine fruit flies, rice flour beetles and odds and ends i find outside. do a search for and check out the Dendroboard.

Hey rattler, did you ever hear that the only known producer of the Mantella's toxin is some deep sea microbe or invertebrate or something? I always thought that was cool. Nice pics. How many do you have, just two? Expecting any tads?
~Joe

i have 2 of the M. laevigata(green and blacks in the top pics, 1 male and 1 unkown sex), 4 of the M. madagascariensis(bottom pic, should be a 2.2 group), and 1 male M. betsileo. should have tads at some point but who knows

Mantella are egg tenders, right? I always thought that would be interesting to see. Good luck!
~Joe

not sure. i dont think so for most species. some of the Dendrobates from central and south america will take care o the eggs. some species even feed unfertilied eggs to the growing tads

how can u buy fruitflies? and are they hard to keep? with feeding,cleaning etc etc..isnt dartfrogs poisonous wither in captivity?

you want flightless fruitflies. they can be had at specialty petstores and other places. your in Sweden right? you may want to try Dendroboard and track down some European members which should help yah out more than i can in that department. they are easy to keep and breed.

feeding: dump some fruitflys in every day but if yah have to leave for a weekend its no big deal if the frogs are healthy.

for tanks, naturalistic ones are best. if dont right there is almost no maintnence othr than trimming the plants. the frogs wastes are used as fertilizers for the plants.

high humidity, a day night cycle(no leaving the lights on or off for days at a time), average household temps and a properly set up cage is all they need.

and no they are not poisonus in captivity. it is their diet in the wild that they get the poisons from.

Ok cool
biggrin.gif
and the price are about? 40$/frog? (for the dartfrogs)

And is mantella smaller then dartfrogs?

not sure what prices are in Europe but in US$ the range from $18 to $150 per frog depending on species and local.

as to the second question, they are smaller than some species such as tincs and azureus but they are larger than some of the thumbnail dart frog species my mantellas are all about an inch long, the tincs and azureus i have will get about twice that.

Ok..one final question do you think a aquarium in this size 100:L,35:H,29: D cm would be fine for about 5 dartfrogs?

depends on the species, leucs would be fine as would auratus, tincs and azureus would probably fight in that small of a tank.

Back