What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

more government bureaucracy

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
But they are actually asking for our opinions this time...

The US government is asking for our opinion on NAIS (National Animal Identification System). So lets give it to them.

You can fill out a comment form on this here:

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocketDetail&d=APHIS-2007-0096

Click on the top yellow speech bubble beside "Official Animal Identification Numbering Systems."

Let your voice be heard on this. Now is the time to make your opinion on NAIS known to the government.

The USDA vet has gone so far as to suggest tags with metal rings through the neck skin on all day-old poultry.

This law would have a heavily negative affect on small to medium sized agriculture and the exhibition hobby. It would essentially be handing over our rights and freedoms for owning and farming livestock and of free trade to the government and large corporate agri-businesses.

Now you may be thinking, I don't farm and I don't have livestock, how can this possibly affect me?

Consider how much of the cost for running another government institution, the cost of the chips/tags, the cost of doing the paperwork and the upkeep on the recording and monitoring system will be passed on to the consumer.

The costs incurred by the people who produce our food will be passed directly on to us by increases in food prices.

The program shows lenience towards large corporations, while being very strict on small to medium sized farm operations. This would run the family operated farms out of business in favor of large agriculture that cares little about how our food is produced. The funding to get NAIS made into a mandatory law is actually provided by the major corporate agri-businesses.

It holds no true benefits as is claimed by the USDA and would only increase food costs. Please don't be silent on this issue.

Don't focus on the bureaucracy aspect of it; focus on the fact that it's a program crafted to help big agribusiness while being a burden on smaller or unconventional agriculture. There's something to be said for being able to track where meat came from and where the rest of the animal went. I'm not saying it should be done, but it's easy to come up with public health reasons that would support doing it. But that isn't what they're trying to do. Unfortunately, our food regulatory structure is by big agribusinesses for big agribusinesses.

The problem with this is, it's just not for the big businesses. Or even just farms in the typical sense of the word for that matter.

Anyone with one horse, just a couple laying hens, or even just one pet rabbit will be subjected to this.

Back