What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monkey Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
(a) ACTS PROHIBITED.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—It is unlawful for an operator of a website or online service directed to children, or any operator that has actual knowledge that it is collecting personal information from a child, to collect personal information from a child in a manner that violates the regulations prescribed under subsection (b).
[b said:
Quote[/b] ](B) making personal information collected from a child by a website or online service directed to children or with actual knowledge that such information was collected from a child, publicly available in identifiable form, by any means including by a public posting, through the Internet, or through—

(i) a home page of a website;

(ii) a pen pal service;

(iii) an electronic mail service;

(iv) a message board; or

(v) a chat room.

It's unlawful for a (in this case) forum to collect information from a child. So if any kid on here that is under 13 has their e-mail or website in their profile, you guys at TF are actually violating a law. In general, you need to collect an e-mail address to contact the person. Which is why forums don't allow children below 13.

It's not that kids AREN'T allowed on forums, it's just illegal for the forum to allow the kid to give it to them or to post personal information, and the forum has to monitor the kids PM's to make sure he isn't giving it out, which is actually impossible to do, so under 13 not admitted.

Well back to monkeys...
My girlfriend is a graduate student in psychology at Yale. One of her fellow students gets paid to do magic tricks for monkeys. Now is that a dream job or what?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 09 2005,4:08)](a) ACTS PROHIBITED.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—It is unlawful for an operator of a website or online service directed to children, or any operator that has actual knowledge that it is collecting personal information from a child, to collect personal information from a child in a manner that violates the regulations prescribed under subsection (b).
[b said:
Quote[/b] ](B) making personal information collected from a child by a website or online service directed to children or with actual knowledge that such information was collected from a child, publicly available in identifiable form, by any means including by a public posting, through the Internet, or through—

(ii) a pen pal service;

(iv) a message board; or

(v) a chat room.

It's unlawful for a (in this case) forum to collect information from a child. So if any kid on here that is under 13 has their e-mail or website in their profile, you guys at TF are actually violating a law. In general, you need to collect an e-mail address to contact the person. Which is why some (most) forums don't allow children below 13.

It's not that kids AREN'T allowed on forums, it's just illegal for the forum to allow the kid to give it to them or to post personal information, and the forum has to monitor the kids PM's to make sure he isn't giving it out. Which is sort of hard to do, so kids under 13 are generally not allowed.
if a kid as young as 7 came on here he woudlnt be allowed on a public forum without his mother or father or any other realative monitoring him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Feb. 09 2005,4:19)]Well back to monkeys...
My girlfriend is a graduate student in psychology at Yale. One of her fellow students gets paid to do magic tricks for monkeys. Now is that a dream job or what?
Some poor monkey somewhere is trying to pull more coins out of his ear with no success.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Feb. 09 2005,4:28)]Some poor monkey somewhere is trying to pull more coins out of his ear with no success.
LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Feb. 09 2005,4:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 09 2005,4:08)](a) ACTS PROHIBITED.—

[b said:

(ii) a pen pal service;

(iv) a message board; or

(v) a chat room.

It's unlawful for a (in this case) forum to collect information from a child. So if any kid on here that is under 13 has their e-mail or website in their profile, you guys at TF are actually violating a law. In general, you need to collect an e-mail address to contact the person. Which is why some (most) forums don't allow children below 13.

It's not that kids AREN'T allowed on forums, it's just illegal for the forum to allow the kid to give it to them or to post personal information, and the forum has to monitor the kids PM's to make sure he isn't giving it out. Which is sort of hard to do, so kids under 13 are generally not allowed.
if a kid as young as 7 came on here he woudlnt be allowed on a public forum without his mother or father or any other realative monitoring him.
It doesn't state it in the law, so what you said isn't true. There's no exception to parent supervision.

Even so, TF doesn't specify when you register that you must be over 13, or state this law like other websites/forums i've seen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Feb. 09 2005,10:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Feb. 09 2005,4:19)]Well back to monkeys...
Some poor monkey somewhere is trying to pull more coins out of his ear with no success.
out of his ear if your lucky, the little bit i have done with primotology has led me to the conculsion there are places they would rather pull things out of LOL. and they tend to throw it too. LOL

Well, first of all you're miss reading the law.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]t is unlawful for an operator of a website or online service directed to children

Notice the phrase "Directed to children" That means a website that is created for and marketed to children. Like Disney, for example. PFT is not. PFT was created for and marketed to the general public. It it not illegal for a child to access or join the forums. All that Rampuppy or I was trying to say, is that we want a kid safe site. A site that parents or teachers can be sure that it is safe, and that there'll be no offensive or suggestive language or pics. Nothing more. That doesn't mean that we are a forum that is directed to kids. So, it is not illegal for a kid to join.
Terraforums is not a free forum. It is paid for by Phil Crane, owner of PFT.com. Terraforums is a gift from him to all cp growers. Since he owns and pays for the forums, it's content will be what ever he wants it to be. He wants a kid safe site. The mods job here is to make sure that the forum stays the way he wants, and that's what we do. You don't have any rights to be here, but it's a privilege to be a member here. So every member should respect Phil's wishes and thank him for giving you such a nice place to meet other cp'ers.
Since this has gotten way off topic, I've decided to lock it. If you want to continue discussing the study, then make another thread. But if it returns to a discussion about pft breaking the law, I'll lock it to and the member will get an official warning.

The larger issue is.

Growing something like carnivorous plants is experienced by people of all ages... and many under the magic age of 13.

1) GENERALLY speaking we do not require any information on any member. The only exception is when we have a problematic member - we turn on emailed passwords etc.

2) We as a group don't violate any laws (see above) -- and believe it is fair to all ages to read and post on this public board. We have many children on these forums -- they are used by schools and teachers in their classes.

3) And it's just stupid to assume that kids that are under 13 and want on this board enough won't be able to figure out the "click here if you're over 13" button... DUH!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 09 2005,5:05)]Well, first of all you're miss reading the law.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]t is unlawful for an operator of a website or online service directed to children

Notice the phrase "Directed to children" That means a website that is created for and marketed to children. Like Disney, for example. PFT is not. PFT was created for and marketed to the general public. It it not illegal for a child to access or join the forums. All that Rampuppy or I was trying to say, is that we want a kid safe site. A site that parents or teachers can be sure that it is safe, and that there'll be no offensive or suggestive language or pics. Nothing more. That doesn't mean that we are a forum that is directed to kids. So, it is not illegal for a kid to join.
Terraforums is not a free forum. It is paid for by Phil Crane, owner of PFT.com. Terraforums is a gift from him to all cp growers. Since he owns and pays for the forums, it's content will be what ever he wants it to be. He wants a kid safe site. The mods job here is to make sure that the forum stays the way he wants, and that's what we do. You don't have any rights to be here, but it's a privilege to be a member here. So every member should respect Phil's wishes and thank him for giving you such a nice place to meet other cp'ers.
Since this has gotten way off topic, I've decided to lock it. If you want to continue discussing the study, then make another thread. But if it returns to a discussion about pft breaking the law, I'll lock it to and the member will get an official warning.
Read the whole thing, thats not the only thing it says.

AE, I warned you.

The Rest of the law reads.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]or any operator that has actual knowledge that it is collecting personal information from a child, to collect personal information from a child in a manner that violates the regulations prescribed under subsection

The phrase "or any operator " refers to any operator of a site that is directed to kids. PFT still is not directed to kids. So the rest of the law does not apply.

Let me make myself clear here. AE, if anybody here has broken a law it's you. By you claiming that PFT is in violation of a law that you are clearly ignorant about is slander. Phil is running a business here and he could sue you for damage to his company's name and reputation. I'm sure he won't, but realize you are walking on thin ice here. You were warned to drop this issue. Do the smartest thing you've done today by taking my advice to drop this subject.

AE Why not just drop it?

Is it so hard to understand the attempt to make this a kid friendly page? If you feel your rights have been stepped on, please feel free to PM me so we can talk about it, I assure you, the actions taken here are responsible, in keeping with the spirit of these forums, and the will of the owner. And no matter how much you argue it, These forums are not being operated illegally.

I don't even know why you think it is relevant to post it, if the forums were operating illegally, it would be aken to shooting yourself in the foot, I gurantee you there is not enough time in the world to police the membership here to keep younger than 13 year olds out, the reality of the situations is this venu would simply dissapear.

With that, locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back