What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moms rule.

so, i come home from work today to my mom with a twisted grin on her face. "hey mom, whats up?" "oh nothing, come downstairs though. i need to ask you a question"... this is usually followed by "kill this mouse!".

anyway i get downstairs and theres a friggin brand new one hundred and twenty gallon aquarium sitting on my bed. she knew i was having space issues inside my uh, 20 gallon tank. she splurged i guess. truly awesome! but im presented with a few dilemmas.

the first is medium of height. i need something OTHER then cups and tableware to boost my plants up close to the lights. what do you guys use?

secondly, air circulation. now that i have the room for it (and a large screen TV to entertain the plants), how do i rig up a computer fan to stir it up a bit in there?

finally, i like using reflectors in my terrarium, mirrors on the walls and whatnot, but im gonna screw everything up if i try to put in mylar again. do you guys have any ideas for that?

thanks a bunch!

wow! very nice!

I use metal halide. I've got a 250 watter over my tank.

An easy way and a way to get more circulation is to get a 4-5 inche fan from wal-mart. Mine's pink
smile.gif

I believe there is a spray on stuff at michaels. It's like, you spray it on glass or plastic, then when it dried you turn ot over and there's a perfect mirror finish.

to take advantage of even more space, and have the lights closer.. Lay the tank on its side. So the bottom is the back, and the front is open. Then you also don't have to move the lights to get inside.
smile.gif
I know there are people around here that use that method... hopefully they'll chime in and give more info than I have.. but mine is a good start
smile.gif

Have fun with it!!!
Andrew

does that seriously work? wouldnt they lose all their humidity?

Tamlin put plastic to cover the front. If you are using flourecent lights (especially if the ballast is not enclsoed) you shouldn't have a problem of over heating. You can easily monitor the humidity and cover/uncover what you need to in order to maintain the correct temp and humidity levels for your plants.

neat trick. i think i'll make some glass doors

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Dec. 15 2006,3:39)]the first is medium of height. i need something OTHER then cups and tableware to boost my plants up close to the lights. what do you guys use?
I use these crate things sometimes called "coke flats." They are similar to milk crates only about six inches tall and would hold about 6 2-liter coke bottles. If you decide against turning the aquarium on the side you might be able to find these at a local catering operation. Nice present. Once you get it filled up you'll have to post some pics!

xvart.

Man, I'd turn that into a saltwater setup! But hey... congratulations!

OOOOH! I always wanted the big fish but I opted for the coral and inverts instead.

Niger triggers.. humu humu... snowflake eels... volitans... Ohh If only I had stayed in saltwater and made a FOWLR instead of tearing down the reef
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 16 2006,12:03)]Man, I'd turn that into a saltwater setup! But hey... congratulations!
Meaven can always change the function of the tank later!

xvart.

fish r boring.

BLASPHEMER!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 15 2006,4:58)]I believe there is a spray on stuff at michaels. It's like, you spray it on glass or plastic, then when it dried you turn ot over and there's a perfect mirror finish.
any idea what the name of it is? im having trouble finding it anywhere,

Wish I could
sad.gif
I did see it there somewhere though. I think it's got a metalic finish on the can.

How long is that monster? I'd try for T-8 fixtures, I git em from Home Depot for cheap and they put out a lotta light and they don't explode if they get water on em.
I've used sweater storage plastic bins from K-Mart or Target or whatever as a platform to raise my plants closer to the lights, I've phased those out as the plants got big enough to be close enough without em.
If you leave the top uncovered you may not need a fan for circulation, depends on the plants. I don't use one on my 55 Gal I've been using for almost 4 yrs.
Aquarium mirror backing is what I use for my fishtanks, kinda pricey though, I've found the white shower curtain in my chamber reflects much more light than the mirrored backing in my 55 & 10's.
Hope this helps!

Do you mean T-5 instead of T-8? T-8 is what comes in those little striplights that are standard.

Standard is T12, T5's are nice but too pricey. T8's are the way to go for now...

Back