What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mold on dormant Venus fly trap.

• Thread starter Reyes
  • Start date
Hi, I put my Venus fly trap in the fridge for about two months. There seemed to be white mold growing on the dead leaf. Are they ok?

You have a few choices. First would be to search this forum as it has a lot of useful information. Here is an excellent thread on the use of fungicides on VFT for overwintering. https://www.terraforums.com/forums/...icular-fungicide-vft.html?highlight=fungicide

For me, I have used a refrigerator by taking all of my VFT plants out of their pots, cutting off all roots and leaves, and placing in moist sphagnum peat moss in a plastic bag. No fungicide at all. If you have cultivars you want to preserve the ID on, you will have to have multiple labelled bags.

For the past three seasons I've buried my tender plants under a large pile of dry oak leaves. The plants are left in their pot. Have not cut off green growth. I do trim off the dead growth. The leaves are covered with a plastic sheet to keep them dry. Obviously, I have the plastic weighted so the wind does not blow it away. It is now under about 18" of snow from last night. This coming spring I will be repotting my pots of VFT because of competing moss growing on the surface. Same goes for hardy Sundews, they need periodic replanting.

You will hear of many saying to use fungicide. The link I gave mentions a sulfur spray. I use powdered sulfur as a pH reducer around my blueberry bushes. It was purchased as a fungicide to be used as a dust. I did just dust all of my garlic cloves on Tuesday when I planted them. This was as an antifungal.

Hit them with a SULPHUR based fungicide mixed half strength. I've been using it for 13 years with no problems at all.

Back