What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mold in media

• Thread starter Pacrun1593
  • Start date
I've repotted my clump of D. Capensis' into seperate pots recently and I've noticed that there some fuzzy mold starting to grow in some of them. I use (not so fresh) LFS as the media in all of them. It'd be a shame if I had to get fresh media and repot it again, so does it actually pose a threat to the drosera's and will it go away by itself?

Here's some pics of what it looks like:
5823415274270365225dd521a588e8af.jpg
ec52dbdd6fe5f959f380663f2129acb3.jpg

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that is actually Sphagnum moss. It doesn't look right to me. However, LFS when first re-wet often blooms with fungus/mold that will go away on it's own once the anti-fungal properties of the moss kicks in. A couple of weeks usually. If not you can treat it with Physan 20 or dilute some 3% hydrogen peroxide at least 1 to 1 and spray lightly.

It's LFS, just covered in algae and breaking down. Repotting probably wouldn't be the worst idea if there's that much nutrient present in the soil (capensis, and most other sundews, will be happier in a sandy peat mix), but good airflow and strong light (capes will take full sun) will also cut down on the amount present.

That mold/fungus stuff should die off once it runs out of whatever it's feeding on. Should be a few weeks to a month or so. I've had all types pop up in pots and terrariums before.

Good Luck!

Back