What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mineral deposit on leaves: damage?

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I just noticed that my neps are starting to get a lot of mineral deposit on their leaves. I have been using a ultrasonic humidifier to increase humidity and lower temps. However, since I do not have a RO system in my apt and I can only get limited RO water (for now), I use regular tap water for the humidifier. I know it has a lot of mineral content. But yesterday...I noticed that a lot of my plants got a mineral deposit on the leaves.

If i don't wipe it off the leaves do u think it will harm the nep?

thanks,

varun

Nepenthes are not as sensitive to mineral-laden water as other genera; but I would wipe off the deposits, since they can cause browning -- and make an otherwise cool-looking plant look like it had just been rescued from Lowe's.

Not a good look . .

thanks BigB....I'll do it now.

You can buy RO water from a grocery store for about .30 cents a gallon from an RO machine. Will need some plastic jugs/milk containers. Every Wal-Mart has an RO machine that I've seen. This is what I'm doing for now til I get an RO unit myself. I use a 5 gal bucket to gravity feed my Hydrofogger. 5 gal. gives me about 12 hours of continuos run time. I only run the fogger for 15 minutes per hour.

well...in hamilton, canada...the only distiled/RO water is 1.9$for a 4L bottle. And the humidifier chugs up atleast 1-2 gal a day. Thats just too much for me to spend. I am considering getting myself apersonal RO system...but need to confirm if I am moving to a diff apt or staying here before I can do that.

Get the RO system it is well worth it in the long run..

I misted my outdoor plants with high mineral southern california tap water and other than the unattractive white residue, the leaves were unharmed. I'd wipe it off to keep the plants attractive (but then, I didn't wipe it off mine).

Back