What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Pinguicula hybrid seedlings

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Following are two images taken this morning, 7Jul06 of 2 inch pots of hybrid seedlings. One is the cross Pinguicula gigantea x Pinguicula moctezumae and the other is Pinguicula moctezumae x Pinguicula gigantea. Both parents were pollinated at the same time, by swapping pollen between the two parents. The seed did not mature at the same rate, but almost a month apart, Pinguicula gigantea x Pinguicula moctezumae seed matured a month later. I sowed them at the same time, once both were mature, and they began germinating at nearly the same time.

I will soon give them more room by transplanting them in groups into community pots of about 5 plants each, using a dissecting needle.

gigantea_x_moctezumae_2.jpg

moctezumae_x_gigantea_2.jpg

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

And that's why he's called Pinguiculaman.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Interesting experiment. Do you expect them to have different characteristics once mature? I didn't know that the plants would change depending on which plant pollinated and which received.

Zac

Some plants and animals have DNA associated with their cytoplasm, located in organelles other than the nucleus. This genetic material can only be transferred from the maternal parent, hence it can, and often does make a difference which parent is used to carry the seed, -vs- contribute the pollen. Pollen only contributes nuclear DNA.

Good to know and thanks for the information. I guess I should've thought about that a little more. I just wasn't aware that the DNA from organelles (only mitochondria? Or are there other significant genetic organelles?) would have a significant impact on any observable characteristics. Is rate-of-growth the main factor here or will there be visible differences?

Zac

I'm certainly no expert, but I've read of proplastids and mitochondria as being organelles that can contribute DNA. I can't even say for certain that Pinguicula are a plant group that have this method of passing genetic material in this manner. But observation of these groups of reciprocal crosses can help answer this question. Right now I can't answer your question, but I do notice that though I quite regularly attempt reciprocal crosses, most usually viable seed is only produced in one direction and not the reciprocal. This could be an indication of cytoplasmic inheritance in action, among other things.

Congrats Joseph! I've been working on something similar except its P. gigantea x 'Aphrodite'. I guess I didn't do as good a job of pollinating though because I only came up with one pod and 30 seeds. Nevertheless the plants are about the size of a quarter and so far they don't look like P. gigantea except for the glands under the leaves. It'll be fun to compare our plants as they mature. Keep it up!

Peter

Hey, Peter, sounds like an interesting cross! Any chance you can bring some seedlings to the next LACPS meeting?
Peter:)

I feel like I'm being stalked
smile_n_32.gif
Yeah, I'll probably bring some if they look like anything. How about some pictures of your own plants Peter?

Sure, Peter. I finally figured out how to post pictures. I got one on CPUK, but i need to find a website to host the pictures before i can post a picture, right?
Peter (2)
biggrin.gif

yes you need a site to host pictures, many people will say an array of difrent sites but I sudgest

photobucket.com

www.imageshack.us

Ozzy clued me in to this one: Ringo It's a good site, especially if you like to upload large pics.

Most ISP's provide space along with your internet connection. You just need to ask how to use it.

Back