What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet your meat

• Thread starter 7santiago
  • Start date
It took me an embarassing amount of time to figure this out: when one sees argument everywhere, it doesn't mean one is always surrounded by argument... it means one is argumentative.

The external reality we perceive functions nicely as a mirror for our internal character (which is very useful in figuring out what we need to fix in ourselves).

So I've had my share of threads in the past where I saw and participated in "battles" that I was really just conjuring up in my own mind. It's something I'd like to stop doing.

Just a nugget that can be taken for whatever it's worth... it's helped me in my internet debate etiquette, at least.

I wonder who will get the last word in this argument... err debate.

unless the term "nugget" is in referance to a form of chicken it is not allowed in this thread
smile_n_32.gif

ive been watching numbers flip by for to long.....................anyone have a beer? thats vegitarian isnt it?
smile_m_32.gif

Chicken nuggets are fine, but lets leave the mountain oysters "nuggets" out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It took me an embarassing amount of time to figure this out: when one sees argument everywhere, it doesn't mean one is always surrounded by argument... it means one is argumentative.

The external reality we perceive functions nicely as a mirror for our internal character (which is very useful in figuring out what we need to fix in ourselves).

See above about armchair psychology; the short version is that it's inevitably wrong.

What I personally find amusing is that 4 pages back I'm being congratulated, whereas now that I've dared mention that I both enjoy debate and consider logical debate be a vital skill and indication of true intellect (a horrific idea advocated by petty rabble-rousers like Socrates, Plato, Hegel and Kant), I'm considered a troll.

Given this obvious fickleness, shall I simple wait until the tide turns, or drink my Hemlock now?

Mokele

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 28 2006,11:10)]shall I simple wait until the tide turns, or drink my Hemlock now?

Mokele
Dunno. Which will give a quicker end to this thread?
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 28 2006,11:10)]See above about armchair psychology; the short version is that it's inevitably wrong.

What I personally find amusing is that 4 pages back I'm being congratulated, whereas now that I've dared mention that I both enjoy debate and consider logical debate be a vital skill and indication of true intellect (a horrific idea advocated by petty rabble-rousers like Socrates, Plato, Hegel and Kant), I'm considered a troll.
I still congratulate you and agree with you on most of your points, including the ones about debate. I like to think I've demonstrated to the forum over the years (to their dismay) that I absolutely value what's logically, philosophically, epistemologically sound, so I don't think I'm your opposition here. Usually I was suggesting people were being thin-skinned about debate too.

But I've learned (and am still getting through my thick skull) that being in "battle mode" in excess, as empowering as it feels, is often a good way to get in one's own way, if self-expansion is one's ultimate goal.

I spent a lot of time focusing on just how utterly wrong the world seemed to be about so many things, getting to the point where I'd be struck with the overpowering urge to fix anyone in my path displaying fallacious thinking. Like it was some sort of duty I had to rise to. And all it served to do was alienate me from people who had gifts for me that I wasn't aware I needed to receive. Caused me to reject valuable information just because it wasn't communicated to me in my rigid lexicon.

I was so in love with that hard-won 0.00000000001% that I knew about the universe that it pulled my attention away from the massive, glorious remainder left to discover ... most of which would probably come to me in forms I never thought I'd value at first (the medium sometimes being worth more than the message).

I don't know you from Adam, and I'm well aware that this may not apply to you at all (in fact 3/4ths of it is just me going into rant mode without even having you particularly in mind). I'm pretty sure you'll even find it silly and trite, which is fine by me. I just felt the need to put it out there.

To summarize what I want to get across here: it's helpful to relax.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 28 2006,6:13)]unless the anyone have a beer? thats vegitarian isnt it?
smile_m_32.gif
Most beers are filtered through isinglass.
Some are vegetarian but very very few beers are vegan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Funny, when I see people of differing views exchanging statments designed to support their view and convince others, I call that debate.

I think that's where the problem lies. I'm not trying to convince of anything, I'm stating what I believe, which was some time ago and we're getting into an argument about how you go about debating. I'm sure you're a great bloke and like you say, internet forums are not the best place to talk about this kind of thing often. I apologise for appearing to make a snap judgement, but your angry thoughts on PETA/terrorists (two different entities) seem to be going against your own advice.

yes there are very few beers are vegan:
Anchor Brewing--All products
Anderson Valley
Anheuser-Busch
Arrogant nice guy (Stone Brewing Company)*
Barley's
Beach
Beck's
Bell ’s Brewery--all beers (thanks to Drew!)
Big Dog's Hospitality Group
Blue Ridge
Brick
Brooklyn Brewery (all vegan except cask-conditioned ale)**
Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, CA (thanks Angelica!)
Carlsberg-Tetley
Columbus
Courage
Dallas County
Dempsey's
Deschutes
Dock Street
Dogfish Head Brewing (thanks Amy!)
Dubuque
Eddie McStiff's
Fremont
Fullers
Genesee Brewing Company
Golden Pacific
Grant's Yakima (but Grant's Apple Honey Ale uses honey)
Greene King
Grolsch
G. Heileman
HighFalls Brewery (Genesee Brewing Company)
Irons
James Page
Jones Street
Lakefront
Latrobe (Rolling Rock)
Legend Brewing (Thanks Richard!)
Les Brasseurs du Nord
Lost Coast
Mad River
Manhattan Beach
Masters Brewpub & Brasserie
Miller
Miracle
Nelson
Nevada City
New Belgium Brewing Co.
North Coast
Nouveaux Brasseurs-Bar L'Inox
Odell
Onalaska
Oranjeboom
Otter Creek
Otto Brothers'
Pacific Hop Exchange
Pennsylvania
Pete's
Pyramid Ales
Ragtime Tavern
Rainier
Richbrau
Rogue Beers
Roslyn
Sam Adams Cream Stout
Samuel Smith
San Andreas
Saranac
Scottish & Newcastle
Shan Sui
Sharky's
Shepherd Neame (**except for cask-conditioned ale, which contains isinglass)
Sierra Nevada
Silo
Sleeman
Sonoma (Dempsey's)
Spinnakers Brewpub
Sprecher
Star
Steelhead
Stone Brewing Company*
Table Rock
Telluride
Thames Valley
Treaty Grounds
Triple Rock
Truckee
Umpqua
Upper Canada
Vaux Brewery
Weeping Radish
Whistler
Whitbread Beer
Woodstock
Young & Co.

Also in my honest opinion anyone who can allow the massecre of these poor animals, is heartless

It saddens me to know that a baby pig can be anhialated , with so much life ahead of him/her, just so some a couple of ruthless fat people can top his/her cheeseburger with bacon.

i think they deserve better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but your angry thoughts on PETA/terrorists (two different entities) seem to be going against your own advice.

Perhaps if *you* had to worry about them burning down your lab, killing you pets, threatening your friends and family, or stealing and desecrating the dead bodies of your relatives you'd see *why* I'm angry that these psychos are being presented as the "good guys". Yes, all of those things have been done by PETA and PETA-funded organizations.

However, since it's abundantly clear that you've decided who you think I am, there's no more point in this.

Mokele

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ May 29 2006,10:52)]yes there are very few beers are vegan:
check out what holds the labels on... sorry they're not vegan.

I've heard the same - many beers aren't properly vegan because of the glue. The rise of fundamentalism destroys every movement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Perhaps if *you* had to worry about them burning down your lab, killing you pets, threatening your friends and family, or stealing and desecrating the dead bodies of your relatives you'd see *why* I'm angry that these psychos are being presented as the "good guys". Yes, all of those things have been done by PETA and PETA-funded organizations.

Why would animal rights extremists kill your pets?

buy burning labs they are inefect killing the animals. PETA and the groups they fund are well known for doing this.

Don't ask me, ask the psychos who murdered the pets of the leader of the legislative counter-effort to ensure reptilian pets aren't banned in the UK. The PETA-funded terrorists on the opposing side feel that, along with their usual "pets are slaves" drek, it's somehow even more evil to keep animals that require meat to live. He kept several of his larger lizards an tortoises outside during warm weather to get some sun, and they were found brutally murdered. Considering he'd already received death threats to himself and his children over this, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out who's responsible.

I've given up trying to see any logic to their insanity. These people protested a company for doing animal testing when that company was testing *dog food* to see if the dogs liked it and if it was good for them. They broke into a lab at my current school and were so collosally stupid they couldn't figure out it was a *botany* lab.

The willingness of PETA and their ilk to commit violence towards individuals, their pets and their property is well known, and is the reason I'm buying a gun when I get my own lab.

Mokele

Yahhh. guns. Not this discussion will really heat up.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 29 2006,11:01)]Perhaps if *you* had to worry about them burning down your lab, killing you pets, threatening your friends and family, or stealing and desecrating the dead bodies of your relatives you'd see *why* I'm angry that these psychos are being presented as the "good guys".  Yes, all of those things have been done by PETA and PETA-funded organizations.
Heh... sounds like the Christian Coalition (with the exception of killing pets but give them time).
smile_k_ani_32.gif

What are you talking about, The christain Coalition? what did they do?

Cheers

They bomb buildings and murder people, in general.

Edit: No offense everybody, it's just a generalization similar to the PETA comment. I'm sure the organization doesn't condone the actions described but that doesn't mean fanatic members of the organization don't carry out those actions.

Back