What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media life span.

I want to ask how often folks repot but since there is no way of knowing how close to the surface there peat was when it was in the wild. I guess it makes more sense to ask What do you look for? How do you know you need to replace the media?
It is one thing to repot potted plants once the peat is to broken down/decayed but replacing the peat in a bog is another.
I have a small bog and would like to make a large one but if I will need to replace the media every year or two I have second thoughts.

Any and all insights appreciated

Sometimes you can smell if it's gone bad. I'll periodically just dig a down into the media to see how it's holding up. Not a big hole, I don't want to destroy roots. Just a narrow hole, enough to get a good sample.

I get rid of media when the unwanted moss creates a mat.

Nightsky That sounds like the the kind of test I should have thought of myself :)

Jimscott do you mean live sphagum moss?

I wonder if I could put a layer off non peat at the bottom sand or maybe turface that will not breakdown in time. Then I would not have to use bales of peat to often.

I've got some reading to do on mini bog depths.

Back