What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Measuring humidity

Can someone recommend a good hygrometer that doesnt break the piggybank? The cheap ones i see at home depot et al seem to not be very reliable (three different ones in the same room showing three different readings).

5-6% accuracy is about the best you're going to get. We have some uber expensive meters at work side by side and they often don't match even after calibration.

There's a lag time on the sampling rate and it's impossible to sync the time the sample is taken.

You can do a Google search on the P3 International P0250 Mini Hygro-Thermometer. I picked up three of them because of the size (tiny). You can find them on the web for under $18.

I've used the digital thermometer/hygrometers at HD/Lowes and they seem fine. They're all within 10% of each other and with the hygrometer of my humidifier.

In my opinion, the cost of ultra-precise hygrometers is not worth it. CPs do fine in a wide range of humidities. They do not need a "narrow range" of humidity (e.g., 45-50%, no more no less) to do well.

Remember also that air temperature influences humidity and so the differences in humidity may reflect differences in temperature in your living space. Warmer air holds more moisture and vice versa.

Ken

thanks guys. i'm okay with +/-5% accuracy. the cheap analog ones i saw at home depot were crazy off of each others readings. i'm gonna pick up a couple of digital ones, hopefully having them in a high humidity environment isn't going to ruin them.

Back