What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass O' P. x 'sethos'

bluemax

Lotsa blue
Supporter
I've been meaning to photograph these for some time but now that I am breaking them up it was the last chance. Too bad I didn't do it when there were 8 flowers open at once. I counted 13 individual plants. 'Hope you enjoy.

mini-PA103142.jpg

mini-PA103141.jpg

mini-PA103141e.jpg

mini-PA103147.jpg

mini-PA103145.jpg

mini-PA103145e.jpg

- Mark

Gorgeous!

Now that's a load of Ping.

Soil, light, and temperature. Tell me now!

Those are awesome, mass! :)

I have the same thing going on in 2 pots! Just wait until they grow bigger like mine :/

my morenesis "J" looks identical to your sethos currently. Must be that time of year for certain pinguicula to divide before dormacy.

Do you currently grow yours under flouro's or good ol "au natural"?

Niiiice!

The soil is a mixture of peat moss, perlite and sand - 2:1:1. The terrarium humidity generally runs around 60% but can be as low as 50% and as high as 75% for short periods of time. The lighting is 2 T5 tubes at about 8" distance. The temps run about 65 - 75F. with some peaks up to 85F. this summer.This used to be one large plant but suddenly became a cluster of plantlets about 8 months ago. I have theories but don't really know why it happened. Certainly it is getting close to the dormancy season.

I would love to grow some on a window sill but my house is heavily shaded so flouros are my easiest option. I have just placed two in large pots to sit out of the terrarium so this is my first foray into 'out in the open' growing of any carnivores.'Got fruit flies to deal with, too!

Smitty and MH1 - I'd love to see pics of your plants!

Thanks for all your kind comments, everyone!:-D

- Mark

Oh wow, those are gorgeous!

Beautiful plants!

Thanks for sharing!

Smitty and MH1 - I'd love to see pics of your plants!

Thanks for all your kind comments, everyone!:-D

- Mark

Here ya go bluemax. I didn't know if it wanted to go dormant or not....so I keep the media on the dry side after it blew up with flowers.

Before the divide and at the beginning of the flowering frenzy. (5.5 inch pot)
DSCN0715.jpg

And after.....
DSCN1077.jpg

Look's like that guy has divided quite a bit! Nice job, that means it's happy.

Mine are a bit more negelcted because they've been shoved to the edge of the light tubes due to zero space, but:

Le deux Ping'splosions
p1010098ij.jpg

ping'splosion 1
p1010101q.jpg

ping'splosion 2
p1010099h.jpg

They used to be nice and pink before I ran out of space and ceased to water them reguarally- but they take it pretty well :)

Whoa!

@Smitty- I like the dark veins in the leaves. My before plant looked very similar, large and just a few pretty leaves.

@MH1- These are beautiful clusters. Kind of like some sort of carnivorous leaf-lettuce.

Thanks for posting!

- Mark

@MH1- These are beautiful clusters. Kind of like some sort of carnivorous leaf-lettuce.

I think the literal translation of the German common name for Pinguicula is 'fat-cabbage'. Pretty apt in some cases! :bigthumpup:

I think the literal translation of the German common name for Pinguicula is 'fat-cabbage'. Pretty apt in some cases! :bigthumpup:

I thought it was Latin for "Little Greasy One"

It really drives me nuts that they divide like that when the bloom, i like the look of having one rosette with the gracefully over-lapping leaves more than the "ping'slosions" that happen after a blooming cycle.

I thought it was Latin for "Little Greasy One"
No, that's the actual word Pinguicula- the Germans have an equivalent of our word 'butterwort'. It's 'Fettkraut' (what would I do without google?!)[COLOR=#0]
[/COLOR]

Back