What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made New Terrarium, A Few Questions

Ok so I have a 20 gallon terrarium set up, and it is mainly for highland Nepenthes. I currently have a N. Ventricosa, N. Sanguina., and a N. Maxima cutting inside. However, my question is how do I make my terrarium warmer??!!? I only have one double light fixture with a 5000k and a soft white or warm white or whatever it is called that is around 3200k I believe, but this seems to be plenty of light for my Nep's because they are coloring up very nicely. Unfortunately, during the day my high temp is only around 70 degrees and at night it gets down to 60 (which I like). Now I'm pretty sure that my Neps would like a higher day time temp than this, but my lights do not heat it up past 70 degrees, so how should I raise the temperature? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Zach

You could maybe use a heat pad but that might heat it up at night too. I use a heater in the winter when the basement gets too cold. Although 70 seems good for daytime highland temps. I try to have from 70-75.

Yes, a heat pad work, but if you don't want to spend money on one, make a home made pad with a ziplock bag and filling it just a little so water can spread everywhere and put it under the tank (lift it a bit, might help). Make sure the water is really hot. I tried this and it helped. But I still need it to heat up , though :/. I haven't used the ziplock heat pad again, though.

Submericible aquarium heater in a Prego sauce jar or resting horizontally at the bottom of the tank, in water.

If you put the heat pad on a timer with your lights you wouldn't have to worry about it. They both would turn on and off at the same time. But, yeah, I was going to suggest the same as Jimscott.

xvart.

Submersible aquarium heaters are the bomb :D For lighting I'd try CFLs like 3 fixtures each with a reflector get the 26 watt ones 2 warm/daylight and one cool(they are lower than 26 watts)/bluish color one they are excellent. For a hood to hold the reflectors I'd use a grid material that works very well,or just find some cheap goose neck fixtures at a garage sale.'
As a bonus the warm colored bulbs make some warmth you won't need a heater really.
My closet has 3 cfls and they make the closet alittle warmer in a smaller space they'll make your tank I want to say 10 degrees warmer. I had a 10 gallon with a wood hood with 2 sockets for 2 cfls,for drosera. It kept at 78 F. If your 20 gallon gets alittle too warm use 2 cool bulbs and one warm colored bulbs(the cool colored bulbs are cooler, ironic) JLAP says they are not that good but for a small tank ro closet they work fine in a larger tank use shoplights.

How large of an aquarium heater is ideal? I've looked at a few, but their ratings are all for heating entire tanks of water and I've wondered if any old small heater in a jar would do in a 20 or 40 gal tank or would a larger one be best? I'm not looking to boost temps a great deal.

Submersible heaters are meant to continually heat and keep a stable temperature on certain volumes of water. Each heater states its volume rating on the packaging. Being used in such a small containter such as a jar or tupperware, even very small heaters would suffice. I use a 50 watt just beacuse I have an extra lying around. My 100 watt works just as well, and the only difference is that the 100 watt heats the water in the jar faster than the 50 watt would.

Back