What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luxeon K2 LED info

LED is the future of high-end lighting. I think they'll practically replace HID lighting, or at least casual HID lighting (IE no industrial stuff) within... 20 years.

I think MH will be to LED what T5 is to VHO now. I don't think it's worth shelling out the cash on LED when you can get a tried and true setup like T5 or VHO, but I see them becoming more advanced (even more than the K2) pretty quickly. I know the Procyon looks... amazing... but for 600 buckaroos I'll hold out.

id guess another 5-10 yr before the prices are truly competitive, most of the high perf units ive been looking at so far are in the 1k-3k range, (window shopping only LOL)

kind of off topic clint, but when you ran VHO, did you use T5/HO's and overdrive them with an Ice Cap 660 ballast?

just curious mate...
Av

They were T12 and I overdrove NO's on them. The ballast was like... from Hellolights or something like that. Not Icecap. I don't think T5's were available at the time.

They looked brighter than normal NO's, but I can't tell that they helped the plants any more than NO's. I don't even think I could find anything other than spectra used for reefs in VHO, so my options were pretty limited. If I used real VHO it may (or may not lol) have been a different story.

I'd like to try a 660 with T5's, supposedly 40% more light while using 40% less electicity...

but at the cost of 1 yr bulb life instead of 3 yr

and at the cost of 140-ish new, I dont think so LOL.... used prices run in the 60-ish range and ice cap will rebuild their ballast if you send it too them

so if anyone has a spare 660 and want to donate it to a good cause :)

Av

Back