What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lotus seeds, three lots of five each

Recently I came across two lotus seed pods as part of a flower arrangement at a garage sale. The pods were smallish, maybe three or four inches across. Color and variety are certainly unknown, but who knows? Might be something interesting. Maybe a teacup or mini? Probably not, but again you never know. I usually have no trouble sprouting them, long term growth not so much so. It might just be too hot here...though I do have a few plants from a trade that soldier on but never really thrive. Anyway, here are three groups of five seeds each should some of you wish to try. Lotus seeds usually sprout pretty easily if you score the hard seed coat to the embryo. Often yellowish, after a few days in water it will usually turn white and sprout in a week or two. Some seeds found in Japan at a construction/dig site were dated +/- 2,000 years old, and sprouted, and were brought into cultivation. (See the book The Lotus Quest) http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...61903340969%3Flpid%3D82%26chn%3Dps&adtype=pla

Here are some pics:

Numbers/names/ the usual drill...if more than three folks sign up, by RNG in a weekish. Postage, perhaps three bucks for small package. No go on SASE, they are too large.

While I have no place to grow lotus plants I have to say that is a cool concept. :bigthumpup:

Couple days later, 100% germination.

Back