What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing a family pet - what about the other pets?

• Thread starter Est
  • Start date

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
Today the vet is going to come and put my yellow lab, Harry to sleep. He's 13 years old, and we all think it's for the best. He still enjoys our company, but he difficulty moving, and he's become quite senile. The vet suspects that it isn't too much longer before he would start having seizures, so we want to help him to go out gracefully. We've kept him going for a while with pain meds and everything, but it looks like it's finally time.

So I have a question for all of you who have had a dog put to sleep- what do you do with your other dog(s)? Is it best to keep them away for the entire thing, or give them a chance to give the other dog one last sniff? Since we're going to have it take place in our home, I just wanted to know... We either need to keep the other dog (Eddie) away until Harry is gone and has been removed, or give her a chance to see him after... Anyone have experience with this?

We had to take our dog (an Italian Greyhound) to the vet to be euthanized...He had mast cell tumors rupturing everywhere on his belly, and it was getting really painful and messy for everyone (especially him). Earlier, one of his best buds (a Chihuahua) died at home of a long battle against Canine Distemper...The Greyhound did not want to go near the Chihuahua's kennel, blankets, or anything...And that's when the Greyhound really fell apart physically, and became less active both physically and emotionally.

Sorry for not mentioning names, but it's a personal thing...

Ultimately: dogs (like other social animals) do not want to acknowledge death, especially if they were close.

Sorry for not mentioning names, but it's a personal thing...

Ultimately: dogs (like other social animals) do not want to acknowledge death, especially if they were close.

No worries about not mentioning names, that perfectly fine. Thanks for your input. I figured that we'd probably keep her in another room, and that's what we (the collective "we") have decided. Apparently the vet says that it's best to do so (which I just heard.)

I had to put my dog (a yellow lab) to sleep a few years ago. She was born a few years after I was, and we grew up together. She had really bad arthritis and couldn't move.

I still miss her. :-(

I am so sorry Jonathan. :( :hug:

All my pets have been euthanized at the vets. I just can't bear to think of my pet leaving my house deceased.

I did have one cat die at home in the evening. I had to put her body in the basement til I could take her to be "disposed of". My dog Jonah kept going to the basement door...so...he knew something was up.

I know its hard to lose a companion of 13 years. I really feel for you...it's a hard thing.

my parents had their dalmation put to sleep at their home and the kitties were free to roam around and they didnt come anywhere near what was going on, normally they were very social with everyone.

sorry about your dog *hugs*

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope you and your other dog are doing ok :hug:

We have had a few animals die in our house and its... not good for anyone.

When our first dog died, we had our other dogs near and they kinda gave him one last sniff but you KNEW they knew what happened. They looked sad themselfs. After the second one went, they once again just didn't want to be around.

The problem is, if you do it without them knowing they will kinda whine and look for them for a while afterwards. However if you show them, I can atleast say our dogs know what happened and show displeasure of even being around.

I would say for all future times just keep the dog away. Get a friend to take them for a walk or something so they dont have to be around it. Its better they realize they just disappeared rather then seeing it. Thats all my opinion.

I'm very sorry to hear about the impending procedure.

I wouldn't want to subject my other critter pets to the event I myself don't want to acknowledge, but then again, I hate being kept in the dark over things like this in my own family. It's had to say what the other dog would think / react. I know every time I returned home from those bad times at the vet the other critters spent the next few days looking everywhere for their pal. That didn't help my grieving but I'll tell you something, it definitely helps if you have other pets to be with in these bad times.

im very sorry this happened. my 15 year old german shepherd/doberman was put to sleep 3 years ago at the age of 15. she had canine arthritis and tumors...it was very sad, our dog Max was like her son basically, he never got over it. a year ago, he died. we suspect property inspectors of poisoning him because they did not want to insure my dad because he was a "dangerous and unknown breed." he was a mutt, german shephed and chow is what we suspected, and a damn nice dog. but it was sad that he died, considering i grew up with both of them

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, everyone. We went through with it yesterday (saturday) afternoon.

I'm very glad we decided to do it at our home. He was able to be comfortable, surrounded by the people who loved him and in a familiar place. It went without a hitch, and all things considered, I think that it went as well as it could.

The other dog was kept in another room and didn't see him after. But she didn't eat all day today, so she obviously knows that something's up. Thanks again everyone.

You have my condolences.

There's no way to know when and how to do it and people can only try to do it the best possible way, like you did. We've been fortunate that our animals have actually liked going to the vet, but our oldest dog, approaching 16, is the exception. That's going to be especially difficult, when/if the day comes.

It's never been clear to me that the surviving animals dwell on the fact that one is missing. I think they definitely read and respond to the emotions of the people feeling the loss but, beyond that, I just don't know.

Each of our animals is accustomed to the others or themselves going away and coming back. The youngest dog was away 4+ months for field training and the others didn't seem to notice her missing, other than for the pleasant sense of peace & quiet. When she returned, it was as if she had just been out for a walk and everything was immediately back to normal. At least as one would have to define normal in my house.

Dogs live for the moment and don't spend their time dwelling on the past or future. We could learn a lot from them.

Sorry that happened I've had 3 pets that died my mix somehow had gotten rabbis so we had to put him down I was practically raised with him as a baby so it was sad seeing him go, my white boxer died of seizures last April at age 14 and my parent's brown boxer died of leukemia at age 7 two months after my white boxer pearl it was so sad to see them go so I know how you must be feeling.

Hows your dog doing now is she still not eating or anything my other dog when my white boxer and brown boxer died she didn't eat much or want to go on walks for a few weeks and eventually she started eating more and then wanted to go for walks more often so I hope yours do the same and she'll be ok just incase keep an eye on her if she still doesn't eat or eat much.

Back