What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to start a Northwest Carnivorous Plant Society

ive been wanting to do this for a year or 2 now, but im finally getting messages from a couple of other people interested in it, who else in the northwest (washington state, oregon, northern cali, idaho, montana) etc. would be interested in building a society for us up here? since we have absolutely nothing LOL. this is just an interest thing, so please, if your interested by any means and are able to donate time, we need to atleast start a small CP society......

I think I may have mentioned this to you before, but there's definitely some interest here in the south sound. We should chat about it when you come down to visit - I'm getting close to done with my unpacking so hopefully that can happen soon.
~Joe

Same thought has been crossing my mind lately. I'm down...

i dont live there lol but its a good idea keep me posted

Good, thats 2 on board for the crew. i will get onto my icps account today and get some of the other local growers and see who would be interested :)

I call being president.

;D

But on a serious note, I think that's a great idea. Go for it! :D

There was/is the Pacific Northwest Carnivorous Plant Club, mainly Vancouver, BC and Seattle area. Chris Teichreb was the main person behind this. He can be contacted through the ICPS as he is a Board Member at Large.

There was recent mention of the Club on the ICPS forum by a couple of the members.

too Bad there arent More Central United States Cp Growers.
i think it is just Cmm889, Xvart, an My self

Kris, did you receive much interest in this?

OK guys there seems to have been a bit of a spike in interest in this as of late,
hopefully with enough activity, we can get a true society started for the northwest growers, and again i will extend out that if we gain enough activity and site members, i will pay to have the site registered as a .com website rather than a .webs.com
would really appreciate all the help i can get in getting this going for our fellow growers in this, otherwise dreary and cold portion of the country.
http://westcoastcarnivores.webs.com/apps/forums/

I'm very interested.

im from the northwest, im interested

More people have shown great interest in this, Come on guys, lets get this going for us.

I joined even though i am in the South. :)

I'm still totally interested!

Count me N2

Hi All! Just recently joined this great forum. Picked up some good tips from the archives. A lot is hidden there. I was around back when the Pacific Northwest Carnivorous Plant Club was active in the 1990's and went to a number of meetings. Kris, from postings on your website as well as here it seems that people are still interested in a local (Puget Trough) club. Allow me to make some comments and suggestions.

As anyone who has been active in any sort of organized group, organizing and running clubs can take a lot of time, energy and a certain amount of money if you organize it formally. In addition, if people are already in a "club" or two or more, it takes time and energy to be involved with them, hence some reluctance to join yet another club. And to be brutally honest about clubs, if you want to see rats jump off the ship (so to speak) just ask at a meeting who wants to be the treasurer or secretary (as opposed to party organizer). I have been involved in a number of clubs over the years and while I have known two people who liked being treasurer, they are as rare as variegated nepenthes.

Perhaps rather than trying to organize a full-blown club, it might be more practical at this stage and appealing to more people to put together one or two small events. For this year, maybe early July and then early-mid September to best show off the plants. This way people who are not on this or other forums would know about it and from those who attend, they might be persuaded to participate in the club. It might be best to do the June/July meeting as a way to set up the public event for later in the summer.

It could have two parts; morning for only those who helped set it up in some manner, this being broadly defined, and then an afternoon session. The reason for the “members only” part is to reward those who have helped to make the event happen. Everyone likes to feel they have contributed and be acknowledged in some manner that their input was important. Have several folks give talks/demos aimed at different levels, some show and tell of live plants and/or "slides", plant swap (and more), and other activities that are suggested and have people able to help develop and carry them out. Then the ever popular potluck lunch.

Then open to the general public as an educational outreach sort of thing with a free VFT to the first 50?, under 18 years old(?) with something extra to the first 25? under 13yo(?) as a way to encourage youngsters to get involved with CP and perhaps plants in general for the first time. Repeat some of the morning presentations or have new talks/demos (10-15 min max) aimed at a wide experience level but more emphasis on beginners. We can accept that their first CP will likely die sooner than later, but we want them to try again and stick with it so it is important that there be lots of information available as well. There could be a Master Killer of Plants table, I mean Master Killer Plants table staffed to answer questions. For those who are more techno savvy than myself :comp:and can say a lot in 144 character spaces it could be another way to reach out to people plus the ubiquitous YouTube videos, which there are a lot of regarding CPs.

While the planners of such an event could meet at various people’s homes, see their collections, and set ups it would not be practical or necessarily desirable to host an event open to the public at a private residence. A number of small towns have community centers that can be rented, or better yet a resident/member often gets one free day a year or something like that so there would be no cost for that part of the event. I’m not suggesting a huge event, but I would be disappointed if there were more organizers there than new faces.

By now, you're thinking this guy wants to be president. Let me state categorically that I will not seek, nor accept, the nomination of the LeftCenterAnarchistRightCoastSocialRepocraticDarkChocolateRulesPepsiBeatsCokeGreenTea Party. However, I would accept the title of Horticulture Overlord. :hail:

Aside from that, I’d like to help out for a club or event. I have some time for the next few months to help with organization and execution but realistically cannot take a lead role and unfortunately will not be able to contribute direct cash funding. I do make killer brownies. :drool:

As I am not yet a member of the other sister forums, it might help for you to cross post.

Back