What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Local news/police telling people to look for signs of 'grow operations'

I'd have to agree that while being concerned is perfectly understandable, it isn't worth giving up your hobby or losing sleep over. The suggestion to speak to the police department and voice your concern -- even inviting them to come over and take a look if they want -- is a sound one. Speaking to your neighbors is also a good idea.

I often joke with my family and friends that I'm expecting the cops to stop by my apt some day and inquire about the bright light shining through the drapes in my spare room 7 days a week. :D

No cops yet but, several neighbors have confronted me about it. One old lady across the street said she would call the police if I didn't get rid of the stuff immediately , the rest asked me if they could buy some pot. I had to bring them all in and show them what was going on. One guy took a v.f.t home with him instead of the "ounce of kind" he was expecting.

Same thing happens to me in my apartment complex. Luckily, my next door neighbor things the plants are the coolest things he's ever seen.

if it bugs yah invite the local police chief to see your setup......you can see my saltwater and plant lights going on and off via timers in my basement.....never had a worry cause quite frankly unless you have the traffic indicating your selling combined with it most cops wont give yah a second look......that and for me its a small town and the i know the police chief well and am in alot of the service clubs as his #2 guy who i consider a friend....

if it bugs yah that much just offer a tour....

if they bust into your house, SUE THEM

Sue them and then buy s crap-ton of potting supplies, fluorescent bulbs, and pvc tubing and walk it very slowly bag by bag to your house in broad daylight.. And put ur plants by a window and have the lights on only at night as a reverse schedule :lol:

I think I would be more worried about people breaking in to steal the "pot" they think is growing, LOL.

I think I would do what Drew said, call your local police department and tell them what you have and also talk to your neighors.

Errr, I don't think the point was to get the cops off your back, I think the point was to convince them it's unnecessary to kick your door down and shoot your dog. I'd say it's going to take a little more than a few D. capensis and D. muscipula to convince any cop that your only intention is growing CPs. So you'd have to actually be growing a good number of plants in some kind of tent or greenhouse to even convince them you're not a "threat," I'd imagine. Even then, who's to say they wouldn't surprise visit you a few months later? Again, I don't think the point is to be permanently on their whitelist, but to protect your dog's and even you and/or your family's safety and lives (if you were to react to people busting into your house in the middle of the night by defending yourself, thus getting shot).

I know what the point was. I was just thinking how unrealistic it would be to just invite them into your home to see your legit plants and think that will stop them from taking action in the future if they believe you really have illegal plants.

I know what the point was. I was just thinking how unrealistic it would be to just invite them into your home to see your legit plants and think that will stop them from taking action in the future if they believe you really have illegal plants.
Excpecially since they would then know that you have all the meens nessesary to do so if you wanted.

Justgrow them in a basement if you can.. That solves everything.. If your neighbor is soo keen on the whereabouts of your pots and soil that you carry from ur car to your house you should be more worried than they are :lol:

I think I've said this already here but I suspect the local police for basically sitting outside my house randomly quite a few times and the only thing I can think of is that I oftentimes leave my blinds open to my room...which has quite a few grow lights visible from the street.

I think about this all the time. Luckily where I live pot isn't really a big deal. If my neighbors could see my setup (which they can't) they'd be more likely to try and buy some than to call the cops. I just get annoyed at how many people either think I'm lying when I say I don't grow pot, or, if I can convince them, don't understand why I spend my energy growing things I can't get high on.
If a situation like that came up, or if I moved, I'd talk to my landlord/neighbors/authorities and invited them to check it out. Otherwise I would probably lose sleep worrying about it. But that's just me.

For crying out loud. Reminds me of Nazi Germany. It's funny how people forget history doom themselves to repeat it.

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 AM ----------

Oh forgot to mention. Anyone deemed a "terrorist" can be held indefinitely without trial abs even be made to disappear with this new bill that went into law over newyears. And people say there is mo tyrany in our government. It is going to turn into our founding fathers breaking away from Britain all over again. It is ridiculous what our government and local police have become.

It's really disgusting that America has become the land where no one is allowed to mind their own business.

My room faces the forest so only if people are walking the trails at night would they see the window lit up with the terrarium lights. If you're worried I'd definitely get some light blocking curtains for the outer blinds, however there is supposed to be "proof" for getting a raid together, not just lights coming out of a window. Like an informant telling them "that guy sold me weed, he grows it in his house." Of course, they aren't above creating an imaginary "anonymous informant" on paper who supposedly said such things.

As for suing the cops for a botched / erroneous raid you can forget about that. The response would be "They acted in accordance of police procedure to ensure the safety of the community, that they killed your family and your dog was just a 'regrettable accident'..."

"Call em up and invite the cops in" is about the worst thing I can imagine someone doing. You're giving them an invite to come and stomp all over your 4th Amendment rights to search and seizure of whatever they might find "interesting" anywhere in your home. Your PC perhaps might be interesting; "guess we'll take that with us when we go." Even if you don't have anything on your PC to hide, do you want them rifling through you life?

They want us to give up our freedom willingly, that way they don't have to spend time making all these laws that let them take it from us... :(

Strange it's been mentioned, but we actually did have an attempted break-in here in the summer of '09. This was right before I put my setup into the growlab, so the room was megabright. We live in a townhouse in a nice area known for low crime so it caught us completely off gaurd.

I work odd hours, and so I'm usually up til 5 am or so (such as now) and one night I heard what sounded like steps on our roof. My dog growled also. I immediately ran outside and saw nothing. I thought I must have heard it from the wrong direction, and that I actually heard it from the outside wall and not the roof. This is because the for a week prior I had seen an unusual amount of wildlife in our area and yard. Deer and antelope. It has happened where I walk out in the middle of the night to take my dog out only to open the door to a group of deer literally at my door. They usually either freeze, or go wild and leap all over the place. Once one leaped up against the side of our house. So the night I heard the noise, and saw nothing I figured something had startled a deer and it knocked itself into the wall.

Well, two days later, I'm outside in the daytime, and my neighbor tells me he filed a police report on a peeping tom. His wife saw a shadow in the middle of the night in her second story bedroom window. When she peeked through the blinds, a small camcorder was attached to a pvc pipe staring right back at her! She screamed an then whomever had it lowered it and ran off before they could get downstairs. This happened the night I heard the noise.

My room that has the plants is on the same side of the townhome as her bedroom. A few nights later, my dog woke me up barking (I had gone to bed at a normal time as it was a day off). I got up and went downstaris. He was barking towards the back door. I looked out the window on that door (it's like a french door the window takes up almost the entire door), and saw nothing. I didn't go outside. Understand that there are no fences in this development, it's all open landscaping. Behind our home is some landscaping then a road. W anyway the next day I took my dog out back for his break, and sonofa..the frame to my back door was all mangled, and my door knob and lock wasn't properly closing. It appeared to me that someone had taken a crowbar and tried to pry the jam apart at the lock height. Luckily they didn't succeed fully, but they did a lot of damage. Had to have the jam replaced and install a new lock and strike plate, got motion activated flood lights installed literally right next to the door. I think the dog barking or me getting up, scared him off, otherwise he didn't have much left to do to get in.

Called the cops, filed a report. They told me there had been several reports of somone peeping and taping through windows in the surrounding neighborhoods, but no reported attempted break ins. He walked around our home, never went upstairs into that back room. At the time, it didn't occur to me that that room is probably what led him to try to break in. About a week later it dawned on me that he probably got footage of my plants in that room through the tiny slits in the blinds. And I bet he thought he could break in and grab 'em (thinking they were mj).

That's when I got the grow tent. And decided I would no longer grant requests for people I don't know to come see them. Too risky.

We never had anymore problems, and our neighbors haven't either. The police stepped up their patrols of the neighborhoods for a few weeks, I guess it helped or he was caught. Yeah I'm paranoid but it started back then. Just never know who is watching or spying. Anyway, sorry for the uber long post!

Amen brother. People forget Hitler was originally elected to lead. In no way shape or form should you have to give up something like privacy because "you have nothing to hide". That is a slippery slope I want to stay away from.

I grow both...legally.....the carnivores are in my office in a greenhouse which lights up at 5:30 AM and burns brightly through my window clearly visible from the street until 7:30 PM.
My Medicine is not visible nor easily accessable.
I have no worries of LEO 'busting down my door". I know my neighbors, they know me.
and quite frankly, one small garden of cannabis is not a big deal in most States anymore.

Keep telling yourself that. They are arresting people for single seeds found in the car in ATL.

Inviting cops into your house is just asking for trouble. Block the windows at night if you must. In CA and some other states, patients are "legally" allowed to grow cannabis, so hopefully neighbors will think twice about calling the cops on someone. The only real solution to this problem is to legalize marijuana. I have a good feeling about this. For the first time since it was made illegal, more than 50% of the people think it should be legalized for adult recreational use. Try to stay under the radar for now.

Yall should just move to Canada. Cops up here stopped caring about weed years ago...

It's all a racket to get money. All those getting busted dont launder their mobey through the mega banks. All that do don't get busted. Look at the cartels involved in fast and furious. Government shipping them drugs and bringing coke back. Illegal drugs is nothing more than a way to make money for the corrupt government.

Yall should just move to Canada. Cops up here stopped caring about weed years ago...

Used to. Harper wants to throw all pot smokers in jail, you guys are taking a giant step backwards.

Back