What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little green aphid (pic)

Last weekend I was out collecting green aphids to feed to some baby mantids. I discovered that every time I walked through a patch of
Scotch broom I ended-up with numerous of the little bugs aphids scattered around on my shirt. So I would just crash through the plants, pick off the aphids, and repeat. It was really rather fun...

Anyhow, in addition to feeding my mantids, I kept a few aphids to photograph. I placed the aphids on a nasturtium leaf both as a suitable background, but also because I know from experience how (unfortunately) popular nasturtiums are with aphids. Sure enough, a couple of the insects settled down to feed by piercing the leaf with their proboscises.

I posted a few photos on my blog, but this one was easily my favourite.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Olympus OM-D E-M5; Nikkor 50mm F2.8 enlarger lens; manual exposure (F8 @ 1/200 sec); Olympus FL-36 flash (TTL); ISO: 200

P7200112 b green aphid copyright ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

huh, those ones are quite differently shaped than the ones i typically find in my yard. im more accustumed to tear dropped shape and very round and puffy. could it be that they were just well fed? :lol:

i love that photo though! very well done

This is so amazing! A fine line between cute and menacing. Seeing them so up close almost adds a personality to it (but then again we humans love attaching meaning to things)

Back