What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting

C

Chris35

I was thinking about making a terrarium now out of my geckos cage (its still alive it would just house him and the vtf's) and he has some sort of lightning its like reptiglo or something do you think i could use this as artificial light for my vtg

The best light to use for carnivorous plants...if they are grown indoors is 40 watt cool white tube. I have not had much luck with any plant/artifical lighting. And since we grow all of our stock indoors... = )
With your Gecko...does he eat leaves...AT ALL! ( get the point). I know that animals interact with these plants in the wild ( only the slow ones become dinner). But I would just be careful of mixing certain animals that will consume your plant. Just keep an eye on it.

Not sure what the spectral output is on a reptile bulb.. I would be more concerned with how much light you have. VFT like lots of light, I think you would need at least 2 tubes, preferably 4.

Tony

Geckos do not eat leaves.. But they could be small enough to be caught in a large VFT trap. That wouldn't be too fun for your pet gecko!

Patrick

Don't Repti-glow's put out more light in the infra-red range? I think they are designed to emit a little more heat as well.. just guessing here...

the gecko is fairly larg about 9inches or so. Do you think I should try it?

From experiences before, don't try it unless you have a large supply of insect. Because before the gecko can eat the plants will get it. or before the plants can get it the gecko will, so the superior one will always get the insect. Unless you feed them seperately it would be fine, but that is just a pain.

Not to be negative here but I was just looking at my tank where I keep my vfts and was trying to picture a gecko in there. Ummm... wouldn't the gecko walk and lay on the vfts if they were in there? I don't know about you but that just might tick me off a bit. Granted the vfts are cheap but not so cheap that I would want to keep on replacing them.

I personally wouldn't do it... about the only thing I have considered as a permenant animal resident in my tank is a praying mantis... and the Nepenthes are getting large enough that I don't think he would last very long.

A praying mantis would be really cool!! where would you get one?
I would worry about your gecko, it seems fairly large And as Unknownclown stated I would not like to see a big lazy gecko sitting on my precious plants. But maybe if your tank is large it could house a smaller reptile like a nole lizerd or one of those small house geckos

Hey folks,
A praying mantis? I imagine you could buy them as reptile food at some pet stores, but all I've seen are things like wax worms and crickets. In the summer, I'll usually discover quite a few around the house--I could send you a few(naw just kidding:))! But THANKS RamPuppy because that's a great idea. I'll try it as soon as I find one outside. I've even heard of being able to keep them alive indoors for over a year, if cared for correctly. They'd better watch out for my new N. coccinea, though!
Later
Chris

Back