What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting times

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Hey guys! Long time no see.
Just a quick question...

When should I start to lower the amount of hours my fluorescent lights are on during the day? Right now they're on for 15 hours.
I'm growing a few neps, but I'm mostly concerned with my cephalotus going into dormancy.

Thanks

Matt

I started turning my lights back on some of my racks around August - I just try to follow the actual change in day length, and move my timers back/forward when I notice the days getting longer/shorter. Worrying about my electrical bill helps, too.
Unless it's outside, I doubt you'll see much in the way of dormancy for your Ceph. They just slow down, and sometimes grow those non-pitcher winter leaves. If you're lucky, you might get the weird vestigial not-a-pitcher, not-a-leaf leaves. I usually do about 12/12 for my Neps, Ceph and Helis. During the summer I'll split the 12 hours with the lights on into two parts, so that the lights aren't on during the hottest part of the day. I don't think it matters a whole lot unless you're trying for flowers.
~Joe

i rarely move mine......added a few hours a bit ago to try and kick some tuberous dews into dormancy.......

Thanks guys.
I think I'll start out by reducing it to 14 hours a day and then down to 12 or less in the winter.
I appreciate the info.

Back