What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's play to... ID the Nep!!

Here is a picture of a Nepenthes I had 4 years ago:

Nsp-3.JPG

Anyone has an idea of what it can be? I receive it from the Botanical Garden, with no label at all. It is a very fast (almost furious!) grower, and the main vein on the leafs usually turn red with good light. It is very easy to grow, pitchers easily, even more than N. alata, x coccinea and ventricosa in my experience, and seems to be very resistant: I succeed to grow it in pure peat moss in a water tray without problem...

I, unfortunatly, don't have this plants anymore, but I found yesterday a grower in Quebec which have the same plant, but we both don't know anything about its ID. I have no idea if it is an hybrid or not, but some younger pitchers (not shown in the photo) looked very alike N. khasiana in Slack's book.

Any idea?
-----------------------------------------------------------

This second one, I received it labelled as N. maxima 'Superba'

Nmaxima1.JPG

Nice plant, but I doubt a little about the ID (as usual) (I don't still have this plant either). I looked to BobZ's CP Photo finder, and found some Nepenthes hybrid with this parent, but also found one called N. x mixta 'Superba', which look similar too... Any idea?

Hi Tom,

The first looks like a N. maxima x alata type thing.. bout as specific as I can venture a guess.

The 2nd isn't pure N. maxima.. I would venture N. maxima x fusca. I don't think N. mixta, the pitchers seem way too narrow and the triangular pointed lid looks like N. fusca influence.

Tony

It is definitely not Mixta Superba. Which Botanical Garden did the original plant come from?
Did the pitchers ever get much larger than those in the picture?

It may be a maxima, but most likely it is a maxima hybrid. I notice they are all upper traps in the photo, and many forms of true maxima do not have such nice looking upper pitchers. Typically they are small and plainly colored. There are exceptions, however.
Typical maxima hybrids would be N. xBalmy Koto or N. xRokko, both of which are thorelli x maxima.
Again, hard to say exactly what...there's so many maxima hybrids...

Trent

O yeah should have moved it to the ID forum while I was at it!

slacking...
T

Yea, Tony's guess is good too...the maxima x alata. The lowers have nice dark red peristomes, but the uppers do look like the plant in the picture.

Trent

Thanks for the replies!

Trent: The maxima 'Superba' don't come from the botanical garden, I received it from another cper, but the first Nepenthes shown (sp) was from one of the greenhouse dedicated to students in horticulture at Montreal Botanical, in Montreal. But I don't think it is coming from the collection greenhouse.

superba has wings yours doesnt. I also agree it is a Maxima x alata maybe something else

Back