What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lessons from Microsoft ...

If you cannot find a way to succeed ... cheat.

Google is accusing Microsoft of cheating as the two duel for Internet search supremacy, but Microsoft denies the charge, saying it's just using all the tools available to lessen its rival's dominance.

The dust-up between the two companies that process much of the world's search requests grabbed the spotlight Tuesday at an event sponsored by Microsoft about the future of Internet searches. Microsoft's practices have even wider implications now that its technology powers Yahoo Inc. searches in the U.S., Canada, Australia, Brazil and Mexico.

Matt Cutts, the head of Google's Web spam team, said the company noticed last year that Bing was returning search results that seemed a little too close to Google's own—especially for obscure, misspelled queries.

Google suspected Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser and various toolbars and plug-ins were feeding information back to Microsoft that would help Bing's results become more Google-like.

And so, Google laid a trap. The company made a list of gibberish or obscure search terms and manually linked them to unrelated websites. Then, 20 Google engineers took home laptops loaded with Internet Explorer, searched Google.com for those terms and clicked on the artificial results. Soon after, searching for the same odd terms on Bing would call up the same odd results.

Cutts likened the trap to a mapmaker drawing a fake street or the Yellow Pages adding a fake name to its directory to flush out copycats.
From here & other places on the web.

Unbelievable! As you say, Microsoft's lesson is that if you can't succeed, cheat. But to take a lesson from Google, if someone is trying to steal from you, you're probably smarter than them... so have some fun!

---===Pwn3d===---

I saw this on Colbert Report last week, very funny!

As far as Yahoo goes, I avoid anything related to it. Yahoo toobars infect PCs like nothing else! :(

Humans....

I saw this on Colbert Report last week, very funny!

Darn it! You're too quick, I was going to say that. :p

I say, screw them all, Bing, Google, Yahoo, whoever. They record searches and sell information.

www.ixquick.com Supposedly does not.

Unbelievable!
When i saw this, I had to read it several times I was so shocked & astounded. For Microsoft to basically give up on trying to compete in search by discovering their own algorithms and blatantly build in 'copy Google search result' mode into their browser - was difficult for me to conceive.

Without their two monopoly franchises (Office & Windows), it's hard to see them as a successful company - as they are mediocre in almost anything they do.

Back