What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
On my N. spathulata x (spathulata x boschiana), the newest leaf that opened up is curled up on both sides, making a v-shape. Its a very large plant, maybe 18" across and 6" tall. When the leaf had just opened up, I added some live sphag to dress around the top of the pot and I accidentally knocked the entire tendril clean off. Kinda surprised me, but understandable. I don't think it is diseased. None of the other plants do this and this guys looks rather healthy.

Also, no pitchers will form on it. Not sure why... Not sure if they just take a long time or what. It has two tendrils on it that never formed pitchers. All of my other highlanders, intermediates, my one lowlander and one ultrahighlander are fine, forming pitchers, growing fast. This guy seems a bit slow to put out new leaves. VERY SLOW.

Temperatures vary in my greenhouse. On days 70F-90F (95% of the time), it stays about 75-85F in the greenhouse during the day with 60% humidity at lowest during the day. Always 50-60F at night with 90% humidity... always.

Any ideas?

No ideas? Nobody knows what would cause this strange leaf shaped?

Both sides of the leaf are curved upwards making a v... all of the other leafs are pretty much flat...

Thats strange. . . I've never seen anything happen like this before but since you did knock off the tendril not too long ago then I would wait and see what happens. . . maybe some things weren't allowed to form inside the leaf after it snapped such as muscular cells to hold the leaf flat because they may have been needed to heal the broken tendril. Once again I'd wait and see what happens for that.

Don't worry about the tendrils not forming. . . my spathulata usually never forms any tendrils when it makes big leaves and when it vines no tendrils form at all (it just makes long vines). Still, I have the female form of spathulata that likes to flower a lot so that may be where the pitcher energy is going. Once again I'd wait and see what happens. If nothing happens in about a month then you can always try bagging one of the tendrils to see if that will make a pitcher form. Hope this helps!

Thats strange. . . I've never seen anything happen like this before but since you did knock off the tendril not too long ago then I would wait and see what happens. . . maybe some things weren't allowed to form inside the leaf after it snapped such as muscular cells to hold the leaf flat because they may have been needed to heal the broken tendril. Once again I'd wait and see what happens for that.

Don't worry about the tendrils not forming. . . my spathulata usually never forms any tendrils when it makes big leaves and when it vines no tendrils form at all (it just makes long vines). Still, I have the female form of spathulata that likes to flower a lot so that may be where the pitcher energy is going. Once again I'd wait and see what happens. If nothing happens in about a month then you can always try bagging one of the tendrils to see if that will make a pitcher form. Hope this helps!

Thanks! I had never heard of anything happening like it either which is why I was worried. I'll see how the next leaf is when it opens up in like seven months from now. It had two pitchers on it when I got it and they're super big, which is why I enjoy them. They're like 12" tall almost.

No photo = no diagnosis. Always include a photo, please.

33l2i6v.jpg

ifso43.jpg

No need to worry about that. . . my big plants tend to do that all the time and it never has affected them in any way (N. X miranda. . . etc). I've never even noticed it until now after seeing your picture lol! When did you get the plant? It's probably still adapting if it doesn't have any pitchers yet which is fine.

No need to worry about that. . . my big plants tend to do that all the time and it never has affected them in any way (N. X miranda. . . etc). I've never even noticed it until now after seeing your picture lol! When did you get the plant? It's probably still adapting if it doesn't have any pitchers yet which is fine.

I got it back in April. Probably still adjusting, didn't think about that. I just don't see why the leaf is curled like that when all of my other neps have never had that when "adjusting"...

I don't see any problem there. You will realize over time that most Nepenthes take on slightly different leaf/pitcher morphology as they acclimate to your conditions, and can take on characteristics different from their previous growth. No Nepenthes is ever fully acclimated to your grow space in less than 6 months, IMO.

I don't see any problem there. You will realize over time that most Nepenthes take on slightly different leaf/pitcher morphology as they acclimate to your conditions, and can take on characteristics different from their previous growth. No Nepenthes is ever fully acclimated to your grow space in less than 6 months, IMO.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks! :)

But if there was a factor in my conditions that made it do that, would it be easy to say what that could be? I was thinking it could be light or something possibly. Its folding up the leaf to either capture more light or less light or something, possibly... Any ideas? Or would it be too hard to tell?

My 12"+ N. x 'Momoka' (insignis x merrilliana) had a pretty good leaf jump (maybe 1.5 times as big as the last leaf) and that leaf opened up flat and all was well. This morning I walked into the greenhouse and it too is shaped like a V! The two are growing right next to each other. They're also both from the same vendor, but I don't think that would matter. They were both added the same day. :crazy:

I stood there and pondered why this may be happening. Then I noticed that that end of the greenhouse, for about 5 Neps, is completely shaded in the morning. So it only gets 2-3 hours of 50% shade and the rest of the day its in shade. Could it be light? They are in the perfect spots and I would hate to move them, I really like where they are sitting. Any ideas now? ???

I went into the greenhouse today and the little pitcher bud about three leaves back that has been there for at least three months was beginning to get bigger! So hopefully the plant is happy. The other one with the Leaf-V deal is also pitchering. Just weirdly shaped leaves.

Once you brought this up I went outside to look at my Neps and saw the same thing!! I never noticed it before but I don't think it matters. It just happens when the leaves get big I guess.

Once you brought this up I went outside to look at my Neps and saw the same thing!! I never noticed it before but I don't think it matters. It just happens when the leaves get big I guess.

The leaves before this one were actually slightly bigger I believe. ???

I'll post an update when both plants make a new leaf or if this happens to another plant. Thanks for the help guys!

Back