What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Planter

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever
My Venus flytrap is growing leaves, but rather that staying upright, they always arc downward into the soil; other than that they're fine. What might cause this irregularity?
My hypotheses are low humidity, low light, bad water, poor air circulation, or my sundew and butterwort making something that interferes with its growth. The first doesn't make sense since I keep it in a terrarium with my other two plants. The second is unlikely, since I keep it facing an east window and bring it under some lights in the afternoon. The third isn't possible since I water my plants only with distilled water. The fourth is probable, since my terrarium is sealed and I only unseal it every few hours. The fifth just is weird.
I would appreciate any guesses or facts about this abnormality (which I have dubbed Curved-Leaf Syndrome). I've had a few minor obstacles, but I've really been scratching my head on this one! :scratch:

Last edited:
I'm surprised that no one's come up with any guesses about this. Am I the only one whose flytraps are like this? Maybe I can develop a new cultivar. Yes, I can see that: Dionaea "Arc Leaf". :cool:

It is general practice that if you request help with a plant problem, posting a photo is needed to get any kind of diagnosis and help. Please provide at least one photo. Thanks!

Pics would he nice but I will take a stab anyway.

Low growing leaves is what you want, it means the plant is getting enough light. If they were all stretching up into the sky then the traps won't be as large or healthy. You could try giving them a bit more shade when the sun is most intense... Mine are shaded from about 1-3pm when the temp is at its highest. Since you're growing in a terrarium then you're going to need to play with your light source. I agree that it needs good air circulation as they don't like stagnant air but the humidity requirements are minimal. If you're bombing them with humidity and bad air circulation, that can cause wilting.

Ideally, they should grow something like this:
IMAG0427_zps91cf1d32.jpg

They grow so much easier outside.

Last edited:
I KNEW it had something to do with light! :headwall: The trouble is, up here in Ohio, it probably won't be warm enough to put my flytrap outside probably for another three or four weeks, and then it'll probably be shocked. Something I forgot to add is that the curved leaves straighten out over time and totally recover from it. I have no clue why. And gigantea, the traps it's been developing are on the small side and paler than the others, so I'd assume that even though it's under sunlight and fluorescent bulbs, it STILL doesn't get enough. Thanks for the tips!
By the way, nice plant! :)

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Ohio. I live In Texas, so they get a nice dormancy and reawakening on time for the most part. You havent mentioned feeding your plants, could be another factor.

I only ever fed my flytrap once, and the meal was just a tiny beetle the size of a ladybug. The traps just aren't big enough to accomodate large bugs, it's not easy to find bugs in winter, and I don't really want to feed my plants preserved bugs. I did spot a spider a week or so back, but spiders are mostly legs and legs don't carry much in the way of nutrition. :spidersmile:

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :cuss: Another leaf has been stricken by the dreaded :censor: Curved-Leaf Syndrome!

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :cuss: Another leaf has been stricken by the dreaded :censor: Curved-Leaf Syndrome!

Have you inspected for Aphids?
As for insects, you can likely buy tiny crickets at your local pet store: they sell these as food for reptiles. I buy them occasionally for my Dionaea and Nepenthes (treats!) and they cost a dollar per ten.

Yes, APHIDS. Those little bugs make many a plant unhappy. Neem and a top coating of sand seems to work wonders.

If you go to petsmart they have a fridge back by the aquariums and fish. I go there and get the Sally's frozen bloodworm larvae. They're teeny little things. You just break off a chunk, allow a few minutes to reach room temp and then break up the worm clump. For extra small plants, you can just cut one in half and drop it into the pitcher. I use then for my pitcher plants and dews though. Just fed my regia yesterday in fact.

I know there are no aphids on my plant.
As for feeding it tiny crickets, I don't know if even THOSE will fit. There's only one functioning trap large enough to eat something the size of a fly, and the rest are maybe a half inch long.

I know there are no aphids on my plant.
As for feeding it tiny crickets, I don't know if even THOSE will fit. There's only one functioning trap large enough to eat something the size of a fly, and the rest are maybe a half inch long.

So, why have you not posted a photo. Diagnosing ANY problem pretty much makes a photo mandatory.

I'm waiting for my plant's new leaves to be stricken by the infamous Curved-Leaf Syndrome, but so far it's looking good. Of course, Murphy was right that anything that can go wrong, will, but they're getting some good coloration now, so I'd think that it's getting enough light. And the curved leaves straighten out to become normal.

After more than a month, I am very pleased to report that my flytrap has completely recovered from the effects of the dreaded Curved-Leaf Syndrome. Thanks to all for your help! :D

In a garden plot near my home I have some veggies and herbs planted. Two large dillweed plants, the flower/seedheads turned a greyish color and seemed to be moving! I looked closer and they were covered with aphids. In short order, they were also hosting more ladybugs (several getting busy) and firefly larvae than I have ever seen. They don't seem to jump to other plants, so I leave them alone.

Back