What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Law to prohibit keeping "dangerous animal"

I don't know why someone would want to take a wild animal and keep it in a small cage, anyway. Seems kind of cruel.  Hellooooo...your gambian rats belong in GAMBIA.  Boomslangs and brown tree snakes and boas and pythons don't belong in this country, either. How about the snake-head fish?  Nor do iguanas, caimans, or whatever.  Exotic animals, when released...do incredible ecological damage to native species. And they WILL escape, or just be set free by owners who have grown bored of them.  Just have a look at Hawaii, and the horrible toll non-native species have done there.  Cats, pigs, dogs, goats, mosquitoes, you name it.

I have yet to read the whole list, but I entirely agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](1.) Class Mammalia

All of these must be eliminated from society ASAP.
laugh.gif

--Jonathan

April, i get what your saying but ill give you some example on why ppl should be allowed to keep exotic reptiles:

Dart frogs are being saved and whole tracks of their natural habitat are being saved because of the intence interest in keeping these frogs. there are areas South America where farmers are being paid to put out man made breeding sies for these frogs. a small percentage of eggs laid are raised and sold to dart frog nuts all over the world a decent portion of this money goes back to the farmers. given that dart frogs range in price from $18 to $200 depending on color morph and species it adds up to a significant amount of money for a poor farmer who now has a reason to keep tracts of the rainforest as is. he can make more money off of "farming frogs" that by clearing the forrest for farming.

the Dumerils(sp?) boa from madigascar is extreamly endangered but thanks to alot of interest in this snake(it makes a decent "pet" and is quite pretty) there is a huge breeding population in the USA alone.

these arent the only ones but they are what comes to my mind.

on furry critters. im pretty sure chinchillas have just about been wiped out in the wild but there is a huge breeding populaion in the world to cause they are good pets.

whats the difference between some one keeping a pet cornsnake and an pet dog? corn snakes have been bred in captivity for prolly 20 or more generations in some lines. thats getting pretty close to falling under the term domesticated.

Tropical plants and animals are a much greater ecological threat in Key West, Florida than in Fort Kent, Maine. But a king cobra in the neighboring apartment is pretty scary in both places.

kings are rather delicate snakes and fairly difficult to keep sucessfully. plus they pretty much require other snakes for food though some zoos have had sucess with horse meat. Bruce, personally as long as the person is compitant i dont have a problem with them having one in the apartment next to me. granted if I was living in an apartment i wouldnt be keeping hots.

The reason I mentioned the apartment thing is that my wife heard part of a news story a few months ago about a tenant losing a 10 ft boa or python for a while in a multifamily home somewhere in CT.  Apparently the other tenants didn't know snakey was loose.  But the neighborhood rat problem was probably reduced somewhat.  Maybe cats too.

I want a cottonmouth so I can kiss it like Rattlesnake Bob did to his rattle snake.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]STAR-TRIBUNE (Casper, Wyoming) 05 April 05 Rattlesnake bites Lander man on lip, tongue (John Morgan)
A pet rattlesnake bit its extremely drunk owner once on the finger while the man was playfully flicking its head, then bit him again on the lip and tongue after he attempted to kiss it, reports the Lander Journal.
According to Sgt. Gene Galitz's popular column "CopsCorner," the Lander man, identified as Rattlesnake Bob, was driven to the emergency room at the Lander Valley Medical Center on March 23 by his girlfriend. When he saw a patrol car at the hospital, he refused to get out, saying he hadn't had much luck with cops.
Galitz tried to persuade the man to seek medical attention, but the man refused. Luckily, the snake's bites did not inject venom.

Cornsnakes are native north american wildlife..so I have no problem with people keeping and breeding them.  Pythons and Boas are not. They have been set free by some people in south Florida, and are causing lots of problems there.  Kind of like the snake-head fish is going to be a problem in the Great Lakes region soon, or the big-head carp.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/marapr04/fncarp.html

I think if people want to have exotic creatures, fine.  I just think they should be prepared to attest, in a court of law, that they won't escape. Ever. Or be let loose. The animals should be tagged and registered, and their where-abouts checked on every few months by DNR agents. Huge, life-style changing fines should be levied against the owners for escapes. Kind of like what should happen with guns.  

As far as joe blow in the USA being able to raise dart frogs, or any other exotic venomous creature...i don't know.  If they MUST have venomous creatures(and I don't see the attraction, frankly. "Hello, I want a pet that can kill me.")I'd rather they be raising canebrake or missisaugua rattlers, or some other venomous native creature that is endangered here.  IMO. april

It's my understanding that dart frogs raised as pets don't produce the poisions their wild counter parts do.

It's the food that they eat in the wild that produces the poision. So captive Dart frogs are not poisionous.

April, i sorta agree with you. these critters are not that hard to keep caged. lazyness is the only real reason a snake escapes ie not buying a proper cage for a particular animal. the only time ive ever had a snake escape was because of a hastily rigged up cage for a rescue i didnt know was coming. any of my planned purchases had a proper cage setup before they got here. i kept a 6 ft carpet python in a large rubber maid for quite awhile, even with constant trying she never came close to escaping.

as to the turning loose of snakes in Florida and other areas i am totally against it but i really dont think anyone from DNR should be coming to my house on a regular basis if im keeping small boids and similar exotic nonvenomous and non-medically significant rear fangeds. for someone interested in exotic venomous i see no problem with having to jump through a few hoops to get a permit of some sort and maybe an annual inspection of your setup as a condition of the permit. i find this to be quite resonable.

Back