What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis

losfreddy

Composter
I'm planting a bunch of kiwis from fresh seeds from the fruit. I think it would be so bad *** to have these growing out back. Has anyone shown interest in growing these? and is it necessary to let the seeds dry?

i grow a different species....your growing fuzzy kiwis you bought at the store, Actinida deliciosa, correct? ive got 4 varieties of hardy kiwi, Acinidia arguta planted, 3 females(varieties Natasha, Tatyana and an unknown) and 1 male(Andrey). i plan on getting some arctic beauties, A. kolomika, and silver vine, A. polygama, over the next few years. my understanding is the fruit needs to be extreamly over ripe in order for the seeds to germinate but will double check my book tonight.

We bought those "hardy" kiwis about 10 years ago. We got a male and a female. Or at least that's what it was labeled as.

HUGE vines, fast grower, beautiful hirsute stems and leaves, but not one damn flower yet. We gave up years ago.

The seeds of almost all fruit you'd buy at the store are sterile, so don't expect germination.

I'm on my second attempt at germinating Actinida deliciosa. The first time I sowed them nothing happened. Now I'm stratifying the seed to see if I can get some to germinate that way.

Could just be that mine are from publix and sterile. If these don't germinate, I'll give up and buy some seeds off eBay.

why buy seeds when plants arent that much?

my book says "Actinidia seeds germinate best when they are fresh, and the best sourse for seeds is soft ripe fruit........place fruit in blender with some water to extract seeds, dont do for long or may damage them.....sow seeds, pulp and all......A. deliciosa needs 2 weeks of cool moist stratification.......be on guard for damping off disease"

These fruits should be propagated by cuttings anyways because seed grown plants are very variable and usually inferior to the parent – like 99.9% apple seedlings.

We bought those "hardy" kiwis about 10 years ago. We got a male and a female. Or at least that's what it was labeled as.

HUGE vines, fast grower, beautiful hirsute stems and leaves, but not one damn flower yet. We gave up years ago.

kiwi's need a cool rest period....A. deliciosa needs 30 days of between atleast 30 and 45, lil colder is fine......assuming the other species need either a longer period or colder weather

So if it warms up to the 50's or 60's during the day, It's too "warm"? Well damn :(

not sure............heck i praying they live through their first winter for me.......but i would say not long enough of a cool period would mean no flowers cause even if a male or female isnt present they should still flower just like neps

wait, no chance of germination with store bought fruit? how and why.

no clue why they would be sterile........yah need a male and female plant to even set fruit......would assume any seed would be viable.........dont know why it would be sterile

thats what i'm saying. The fruit may be seedless!

Back