What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwano Melon

• Thread starter glider14
  • Start date

glider14

Always a newbie
I was at Mijers today and saw on the exotic fruit stand a Kiwano Melon. it is orange with spines all over it...and they'er sharp! does anybody know how to prepare this melon? what about growing one from seed?
smile.gif

thanks
alex

Just incase nobody knows what he's talking about. Here's a pic.

winter_exotic_05.jpg

I wonder what it tastes like.

You eat it raw. Try not to think about frog's eggs in late stages of development as you eat it. Very slimy, very larvally.

I'm a big fan of trying weird fruit, and this one was an early experiment for me. I have to admit that I'm not really thinking about having it again.

well its for my sugar glider, Daisy, and she wont mind texture...from what i have read they taste like melon, cucumber, banana and lime. im cutting it up tonight to feed to my glider and ill try some. truthfull y im pretty reluctant to try it. but thats what i said with sardines which are awesome!!!!
alex

when I was in pre-calculus, my teacher let us bring notes into our final exam.  the catch was, the notes had to be written on a fruit.  and you had to eat the entire fruit before you left (i.e., you could write a watermelon's worth of notes, but you had to eat the whole watermelon.)

looking back, I didn't have a lot of common sense back then.  I got one of these spiky guys, because it looked cool and I wanted to try it.  But it was VERY hard to write notes on.  and it tasted...well, not very good.  bitter, but a little banana-y.  I wouldn't recommend them.

my teacher finally felt so bad for me that she let me leave without finishing it.

It's more for looks... I think it's more in the cucumber group than the melon group.

I agree with Tony. I had a college botany class and I disected one and looked at parts under a microscope and the vine was very similar to a cucumber.
this was a long time ago.

Cheers,

Joe

Our grocery store (rainbow) has these all the time but I haven't tried it. An asian girl at work brought me a Durian fruit once... whoooo! Talk about a horrid stench and even worse taste! I've never wanted to puke after eating fruit before!
smile_n_32.gif

well i tried some last night and it tasted rely good...but had the awful feel like a nasty slime leathery thing. its so slimy it slipped right out of my teeth every time i bit down. My sugar glider loves it though so ill just let her have it
biggrin.gif
. its not somthing i will try again for sure. the best wiered fruit i had was a Casaba Melon which was so full of juice it was amazing!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

alex

I think that's called Ugli fruit. I've had one. I was not impressed. Its hard to eat because of all the seeds (similar to a passionfruit or pomegranate). The taste was nothing to write home about. I think its a "try it once" kinda fruit.

PAK:ugli fruit is a orange grapefruit hybrid i think...it looks like a wrinkly grapefruit...
alex

Have you ever had Cumquats? (dunno how they are spelt)

They look like a cross between a grape and an orange. I love them!

Cheers

Oh yeah....you're right.  Well I know when I bought it, it was called something else...not a kiwano melon.

Its kumquat.  
laugh.gif
And they are kinda sour.
confused.gif

Kumquats, and star fruits are the best they are AMAZIN!

I still want to try a durian. But I've never seen them sold around here.

Durian--King_of_Tropical_Fruit-sm.jpg

I think alot of people do they look like they might be a bit of a crazy popular fruit

ah! i love starfruit too! Durians are somthing that i dont want to try again. it smells foul but doesnt taste as bad. it deffiantly doesnt tase like a fruit and the texture is wierd too.
alex

I think they called kiwano a "horned melon" when I worked at the grocery store, though it's not a melon so that's kind of odd.

nothing looks scarier than a Buddha's Hand fruit!

danskitchenbuddhashand2mc.jpg

They're like lemons with nothing but rind - used in confectonry.

Nothing scarier, that is, unless you're in japan where watermelons are grown in acrylic cubes for easy stacking & shipping...

square5jm.jpg

Back